Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Pains- Tracking and Joints  (Read 821 times)

Offline SammyGates19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Pains- Tracking and Joints
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:03 AM »

Hey guys,

I have major knee problems for the past 4 years. It started off with soreness after physical activity like 5km's run's/ Tennis/Football. I went to a physio and they suggested me to do strengthening exercises for my quadriceps/knees like tightening the knee/ squats and pointing my knee cap at my second big toe. I did attempt these exercises but gradually it became worse and worse. My right knee was tracking to the outside causing inflammation and that resulted in me having an operation 3 years later. I had an arthroscopy surgery where they removed some of the cartilage to stop the inflammation. They gave me some physio exercises like the ones i stated before and it felt good not having the same pain  all the time. But after months my knee still felt weak and my agility was affected immensely. I play  a lot of tennis and football and im not able to do that  anymore !

With the operation there was a scar from it and the scar is very sensitive when I hit it on something.  What are some good exercises activities i should do to strengthen my right knee and what should i do about the scar  ??

Now to my left knee....,

I have been very relient on my left knee for the past four years and it has taken its toll. It is tracking and causing the same pain as the right one use to. Is there anyway i can fix this without having to have another operation ?

I tape both of my knees and it helps to a certain extent but I really need to sort out the issues as its effecting me with daily life tasks !

Please Help me out ! It's affecting me physically and mentally !

Regards, Sam

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: Knee Pains- Tracking and Joints
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
Sounds like you need to do some de-sensitization on your scar.  Start tapping it and rubbing it with your fingers then use a bunch of different type of material and strength to do the same thing.  Hopefully it will start to desensitize.  I was told to do this with my scar by my PT.  Can you go to PT?  I think it is very beneficial and would get you on the right track to playing those types of sports again.  I swear by physio.

Offline SammyGates19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:24:57 AM »
oh fair enough I've been putting Vitamin C cream on it and that's helped but the real problem is that my left knee's kneecap is out of place and the right one is just weak in general. Any ideas of how to get my left knee cap to align properly ? thanks

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »
Have you ever been shown how to tape your kneecaps to encourage them to track more medially or in your case, less laterally? Perhaps a foam roller could also help loosen your IT band if you're tight and help stop the kneecap pulling to the "outside". Do you have fairly good muscle bulk in your quads, particularly your VMO? Use pain and ROM as your markers for any new exercises that you introduce and if either worsen, take a step back. I've had to do a heap of VMO strengthening so if it's what you need, I can possibly recommend a few exercises that might be of assistance.

Have you had any patella dislocations?
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline SammyGates19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
About 10 months ago I had a knee arthroscopy where they removed cartilage from my right knee to prevent it rubbing from the outside of my knee. So is the vitamin c cream the best thing to remove the scar ?

Regarding my muscle bulk, the right quadricep has very little strength and im trying to build it up ? What's the bet and quickest way to build the muscle ? And is there any patriculiar exercises to focus on building the muscles specifically just around the knee ?

The left quadricep has fairly a lot of muscle. I know how to tap and I tap it everyday because if i don't it tracks and rubs causing discomfort and pain just walking around. Should I keep going with the taping so the kneecaps learn to track more medially eventually ?

But the VMO doesnt seem that strong so a few exercises would be greatly appreciated ?

A few more questions ! Should I on a daily basis ice my knee and use the hydrotherapy technique ? And I play tennis on sat afternoons and it is very difficult for me to turn ? Should I give up sport for a while ?

Sorry for so many questions just really need help to fix them ! thanks

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »
I would do only what you feel comfortable doing and what doesn't hurt your knee.  If you feel that you can play tennis comfortably then don't give it up, but if you get a lot of swelling, etc maybe lay off for a bit.  Always ice after sports, it will keep the inflamation down.  I have been using Bio-oil on my scar, but either that or Vitamin E are the best things to use. Google VMO exercises for your knee it will help strengthen that muscle which pulls your kneecap over medially. 
Good luck!

support