Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rehab pain! (My foot hurts when I walk)  (Read 2314 times)

Offline vegeta_goddess

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rehab pain! (My foot hurts when I walk)
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
I had MACI at the start of December and have now been off crutches for about 2 weeks. However I'm having a lot of pain issues. My knee feels fine, but my foot is killing me. My calf and shin are also aching, but not to the degree that my foot is hurting.

I'm unable to do much physio because the pain when I walk is so intense. It feels like muscle or tendon pain, although I could be wrong.

Is this normal and what is causing it?

Offline sophie_123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Rehab pain! (My foot hurts when I walk)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
hello
i also had my MACI at the beginning of December and last week my foot began hurting really badly whenever i was walking. I realised that i was walking in abnormally and this is what was hurting my foot. it was the kind of pain you get when trying to walk keeping flip flops on if you know what i mean? like a real ache. i have also just started getting a really bad stabbing pain in the side of my knee cap and i dont know if this is part and parcel of the surgery or if ive done something to my knee :( if anyone else developed a sharp pain when walking at around the 10 week post op mark i would be really grateful for some advice!

thanks!

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:55:59 PM »
It is not inevitable that you will experience pain in the lower leg with MACI.  So, it's worth mentioning this to your PT/OS or whomever you're seeing soon.  Otherwise contact someone by phone/email according to what is normal for you.

Pain could be due to tightening of the muscles, so useful to do some stretches within the limits imposed on you by your OS.  It could also be due to nerve damage.  Sometimes, the regrowth of nerves can be painful.

Since only your OS will know what they've done and what they would expect, it's worth contact their secretary and mentioning your concerns.

Take care!  ;)
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline TommyG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
If the pain is that severe then consult physio. I also had pain in my foot when i started walking again but this went in time. I think it's because of the limp that you start off with at first.

Tom

Offline vegeta_goddess

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 01:26:52 PM »
I ended up having an Xray which showed some bone abnormalities where the pain was (turned out to be nothing) and then had a nuclear bone scan. My joins (the ones that were hurting) were scanning up as white hot - too much blood was being pumped to them. The scanning technician said that it is typical to see this with advanced arthritis, viral bone infections or complex regional pain syndrome.

They ended up diagnosing my foot pain as complex regional pain syndrome...but I wasn't totally convinced when I read up on it. I had none of the symptoms. None of them. I ended up consulting with my PT who worked out that I had severe join inflammation and stiffness from not moving my foot and ankle for so long. My joints basically reacted like I had arthritis!

Thankfully after some tough massaging and me wearing some soft jogging shoes to reduce the impact, it went away! My foot now feels totally fine!

support