Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is their ANYTHING I can do to straighten this knee while waiting  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Limpee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is their ANYTHING I can do to straighten this knee while waiting
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »
I won't go into the details, but the long and short of it is I have not been able to straighten my knee for over two months.  Shattered the patella on the same knee 34 years ago.  Have no health insurance.  A friend gave me some anti-inflamatories and two cortisone injections.  Helped the pain, but knee still is bent.  Breaking down to buy health insurance, but won't be able to see a physician for likely two more months.  I am substitute teaching.  Have to work,  Extremely awkward and laborious to move around.  Does anyone know of ANYTHING I can do to get my knee to straighten in the meantime?  It will straighten laying down, but NOT while standing or weight bearing.  NO WAY!!! Pain too excruciating, especially in medial knee area, and I feel extreme pressure in knee cap area like it is jamming when I try to straighten it.  As a dancer by background i am convinced I have a pretty severe torn medial meniscus due to the precise location where I feel the  most acute pain.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of other stuff going on in there.  Also, what will be the possible repercussions of walking around on a knee that won't straighten for over four months, if I can't do anything to straighten it while waiting??  I'm know the knee has osteoarthritis.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Is their ANYTHING I can do to straighten this knee while waiting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
Hi
I am moving this to the general area where I feel you will get more appropriate answers than in the board you chose.

It does sound as if there is a mechanical obstruction - meniscal fragment, loose body, scar tissue, plica ?? Seems to me like you need to be seeing a knee surgeon rather than a physician.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Is their ANYTHING I can do to straighten this knee while waiting
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
Hi Limpee,

I'd be extremely reluctant to push your knee into full extension whilst standing if itís causing you that much pain. Maintaining full extension whilst lying down is important so keep up with that. Have you tried any exercises to keep the quads firing? Sounds like surgery is coming your way so keep the muscle bulk as best you can Ė itíll really help come recovery time! Best of luck and I hope the pain gets better. Any swelling? I hope youíre icing as much as you can if there is.
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

support