Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long before running after partial meniscotomy  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long before running after partial meniscotomy
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
I'm jumping the gun a bit I know, since I don't know what ortho will find once he's in my knee. I was just curious how long it should take to get back to running if indeed he need to remove part of my meniscus. He basically said depending on what he finds, he wants to get me up and around quickly. Any experience with this and what were your recovery times. The nurse told me I'd need to take at least 4 days off work.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 368
  • Neelie knee!
Re: How long before running after partial meniscotomy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
This chap had a menisectomy and has documented his return to activity and sport here http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55394.0  he has unfortunately torn his ACL since 9and has a diary running on that now)

I was signed off for 3 weeks after mine (but there was other damage to my knee) and that OS was pretty conservative (probably because I had no time off after the injury  ::))

How old are you?  If the surgeon is able to repair the tear - always preferable to preserve the meniscus if possible for long-term outcomes - you may find you are on crutches longer and have to protect the knee much more

I would think 3+ months  to running is probably realistic if you're not a pro athlete

Good luck with the op :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
I am 38 yrs young. Trying to aim for 5ks in the spring but not sure what surgery will bring. Afraid to be out off commission for so long with repair but don't want to suffer consequences of hasty meniscotomy.

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
Plus, this injury was sustained in July. Not sure what would be found to be repairable at this point.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
Sounds like me but no running here  ;D  I was 37 when I sustained my injury, waited 5 months as the tear was small on the MRI and the OS was hoping it would heal.  Had the scope once the knee started really grinding and buckling - OS went in hoping to repair but had to trim about 15% away as the tear was more complex and degenerate than expected unfortunately.  Once you get older (i.e mid 30s on), the quality of the meniscus is commonly such that it cannot be repaired it seems

What symptoms do you have?
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
On top of the symptoms that go along with the MRI confirmed partial ACL tear, I have catching in the knee, grinding, pain climbing uphill or stairs, and the intermittent sharp stabbing pain deep in my knee that comes on regardless of position. I could be standing leg straight, sitting inactive, laying in bed and it will just randomly come on. When standing I need to take immediately take weight off leg. Ortho is doing scope because he feels MRI missed whatever is causing this to happen.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »
So it could be the ACL, if you need a reconstruction realistically, you won't be running for many months.  MRIs seem pretty good at missing the full extent of damage unfortunately
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
I'm hoping not. Dr thinks because weakness and buckling from that have improved so much, that it just doesn't seem consistent with ACL tear. Unless it is scar tissue from healing causing the issues. Surgery is next week. We'll find out. Just want pain to stop. Thanks for your help.