Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Flying after a knee replacement  (Read 1722 times)

Offline janeywins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Flying after a knee replacement
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:40 PM »
Hello,
I am having a knee replacement in a few weeks. I have been asked to visit friends (who are a 10 hour flight away) at the end of April. Do you think it is foolish for me to consider getting on a plane approximately 8-9 weeks after the surgery? I am 45 and a healthy person despite what has happened to my knee - it was shattered in a motorcycle accident. I understand I will need to do a lot of physio which I am very prepared to do and I love long distance walking so I hope this will also help my knee after the surgery. I have already had a knee spacer (made of cement/acrylic) inserted into my knee, due to a bone infection, which has completely taken away all the pain I had but I have to wear a brace fixed at 50 degrees which has prevented me bending my knee too much. I just hope this means I will be able to bend my knee ok after the surgery although my surgeon has said I will probably be able to bend it at least at 90 degrees afterwards. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on whether I could possibly be able to walk without crutches 8 weeks after the surgery and be able to get on a 10 hour flight. Thank you

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Flying after a knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
Good luck with your surgery.

ersonally I would email my OS and ask his opinion. I would have thought if your procedure is normal for a tkr then you wouldn't be on crutches anyway , don't know where you are but when I had mine done it was just a couple of sticks for a few weeks and then nothing. FWB right from the start.

anje
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline janeywins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »

Thanks Anje and thanks for writing such a detailed diary after your kr. I worry about the post op pain because right now I have zero pain. But unfortunately I need to have the kr because the spacer that the surgeon put in my knee is only temporary. It was interesting that you said in your diary that because you did pre op knee exercises, this really helped you post op. I am also exercising my knee each day before the op so I hope this does a lot of good after the surgery!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:22 PM »
Hi again, I think the pre op exercise is as important as the post op - just a thought though, can you do your trip and then have the surgery when you come back from your trip? esp as you are in not pain at the moment and we all know how painful and long the rehab is.

Nice to know my diary is of use :)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline janeywins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »
Yes I thought about waiting but I'm now desperate to have the surgery over and done with because I didn't realise that the rehab would take so long after reading your diary. Also, just now I'm wearing a brace because the OS is afraid I'll overbend my knee so it's fixed at 50 degrees whereas after the surgery there should be no brace and I'll be able to bend at least 90 degrees. The flight/trip is a good incentive for me to aim for!