Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: surgery next week--should I?  (Read 822 times)

Offline curtsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
surgery next week--should I?
« on: February 03, 2012, 01:59:44 AM »
two months ago tore meniscus(inner) doing yoga. In the weeks after it would go out at the slightest provacation and cause nagging pain for several hours. Recently has been much better and hasn't gone out for a week. Did finally get in to OS last week and has me set up for scope surgery next wednesday already.

im 57-have already done all the sports i need to do in the past and am just concerned with this not reoccurring. I had been told that if i dont get it done that it could do further damage to my knee. Also was told that it would not heal (but it has been??)

does it make sense that at my age, and after living a very active life(running, motorcylcle racing, football etc) that i probably need a "clean up" job anyway?

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: surgery next week--should I?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Hi there,

My advice, if you'd like to continue to live that active life that you've obviously enjoyed for so long, get the 'clean up' job. A tear to your meniscus, depending on the size and shape/pattern of the tear may result in fragments drifting into the knee joint and causing you further problems. If blood supply to the damaged area is good, there is a possibility that these can heal - something they'll know when they take  look inside. Best to have it looked at and confirm that there's no additional damage.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be up and at em' in no time at all.

:)
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: surgery next week--should I?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
Sadly meniscus don't 'repair themselves in  older people.  I would go and get the trim up/wash out, whatever needs doing, a couple of weeks after you should be right and can get back to your old life without worrying about instability.  Just make sure you do any physio you are advised to do !

Good luck
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)