Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My crooked knee is sore all the time, even when I'm lying in bed  (Read 7624 times)

Offline blue83

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My crooked knee is sore all the time, even when I'm lying in bed
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:27:54 AM »
I found your message board while searching google for information about what could be wrong with my knee. I hope that maybe somebody could give me an idea of what is wrong with it, and if there are any options for treating it or making it feel better. I know you are not doctors, but it seems like some of you may be more experienced with knee problems than the average family doctor. Sorry if this is long and rambling, and thanks in advance for your help.

The first time I noticed that my knees looked crooked was when I was in my early teens. I was a gymnast and always had some aches and pains, but my left knee started to get very sore. I began looking more closely at my knees and found that while neither of my knees are perfectly straight, my left knee has a much higher Q-angle than my right knee. Eventually even walking became quite painful and my mom took me to our family doctor. He referred me to a physiotherapist, who noted that I overpronated, and that my kneecap was not tracking properly and clicked whenever I bent my knee. I remember pointing out the angle of my knee to the physiotherapist, and asking her if that could be contributing to my knee problems. She said, "Maybe," gave me some simple exercises to strengthen my knee, recommended that I wrap it with a stretchy bandage, and that was it.

My knee did not feel better no matter how I wrapped it or iced it, it didn't stop hurting so much until I quit gymnastics entirely. This was really hard for me to accept, because I had always been very active and was in great physical shape from all my gymnastics training. Now I was afraid to do much of anything for fear of making my knee worse. But despite years of avoiding high impact sports, my knee continued to feel sore throughout my teens and into my 20's. In my mid-20's I decided to try getting back into good shape. I was never overweight (I've never weighed more than 52kg or so) but I had become "skinny fat" from years of not enough physical activity.

I started jogging slowly, and also worked squats, lunges, and deadlifts into my workouts to strengthen my leg muscles. I gradually built up my speed and endurance by running on a treadmill, so as not to hurt my knee by running on pavement. I'm careful to maintain a mid-foot strike, wear good shoes, and wear a knee sleeve to support my knee during all my runs. Miraculously, my knee finally stopped hurting or feeling even the least bit sore, and maybe I was imagining things, but my knees even started to look straighter. I thought I'd cured myself somehow. I suppose I got a bit too overconfident, because I started pushing myself harder to try to get into better and better shape, and now my knee hurts again and it hurts all the time. It's not a terrible amount of pain, it's just constantly sore even if I'm sitting down. The worst is when I'm lying in bed at night, trying to get comfortable so I can sleep, but many positions make my knee hurt and I lay awake wondering what I've done wrong to make it hurt again.

There is also the cosmetic issue. Perhaps I'm being vain, but I hate looking at my legs. My right knee looks okay to me, but my left knee looks so crooked next to it. Again, maybe I'm imagining it, but the more it hurts the more crooked it looks. Here is a picture (taken in a mirror, so the leg on the left side is actually my left leg):

I hate how there's such a huge bump along the inseam of my left leg. My inner knee sticks out when I wear knee-high boots, and I'm self conscious whenever I wear skirts, shorts, or dresses. The bump doesn't feel hard. It's not bone, it feels like a muscle. If I kind of flatten it out with my hand, my knee looks much better. My right leg doesn't look great either, but it does look better and it never, ever hurts. 

Does anyone else have the same problem? How can I make it go away?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:31:31 AM by blue83 »

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: My crooked knee is sore all the time, even when I'm lying in bed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
Can I just ask whether your feet were pointing forwards or outwards when you took that picture? i.e. to get your knees to look "straight" do you need to turn your feet out?
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline blue83

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »
Yes, I was turning my foot out a little to show the knee joint straight on. Otherwise when I stand normally with my feet pointing straight forward, my knees seem to face in towards each other.

Offline stardust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
I was wondering have you found any solution or answers to your problem?

I have exactly same problem. I used to run a lot last year (if that has anything to do with it) on asphalt and also wear high heels to work, and about half a year ago started noticing that my knees brush each other while I walk or run. That's weird I thought. My inner knees have bumps just like you; I can tighten the skin down and they look better. Also, there is no bump whatsoever when knee is bent. It looks like something is popping out when I straighten my legs.

I do not have any pain as of yet (or maybe just a little, but could be unrelated), but the bumps make my legs look crooked which I really, really hate. I am sure that I have not had these kind of knees earlier, I only need to look photos from two years back to see straight legs. Well to be truthful, I did have small, tiny bumps before, but nothing that would make me worried.

What on earth could be causing this? Just that my bones suddenly went crooked from running too much? A cyst? Fat? Something more serious?

I am planning to visit a doctor when I find a good one, but would be great to hear if anyone has any information regarding these weird bumps.

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
I would think that those 'bumps' are the VMO muscle that has built up with training (my PT told me this about my knees). Both my knees have them, similar to the photo, and I wouldn't think it's something to worry about if it's not painful.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.