Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice, 2 sore knees  (Read 563 times)

Offline Happyface82

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Advice, 2 sore knees
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
I'll try and be as brief as possible. I've had 2 sore knees for years. I also trained to be a dancer for years. In 2000 I have my meniscus removed, well 80% of it. Noone explained to me the risks if I kept dancing so I did. . . In 2005 I had a lateral release done and they said the had to remove the rest of my meniscus as it was torn in tiny pieces and they also cleared all the cartilage that was damaged, which apparently was a lot!

I do get aches and pains every now and then, my knee still swells up when I wear heals or if I overdo it and of course I stopped dancing completely after surgery No2. For the last week the pain is back, both knees. My right knee (the one I had the surgery on) is swollen all around the kneecap and on the side where the meniscus is if this makes sense. The left knee does not look swollen but does hurt just as much. I've tried taking it easy, icing etc. but it hurts so much. Doesn't help that I have a 21month daughter.

My personal trainer who I go to to keep fit mainly for the sake of my knees is insisting I go to the doctor but I'm not sure what they can suggest? I'm guessing my kneecaps are still tilted and therefore there is more arthritis. Just need some advice really.

Thank you!  :)

Offline ElSquinto

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice, 2 sore knees
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »
Your Personal Trainer definitely has the right idea - you should see a doctor.  It probably goes without saying that the doctor should be an orthopedic surgeon specializing in the knee.

It might be best to try to contact the knee surgeon who performed your last procedure.

In the meantime, I would cease exercises that involve the knee joints.

Offline Happyface82

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Advice, 2 sore knees
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I can't see the same doctor again as I now live in London (last doctor was in Greece).

Will have to find someone over here. I've just lost faith in them in a way and don't trust MRIs which is probably what they'll ask me to do. Both times the MRI failed to show the extend of the problem.