Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help Please!! Very concerned home exercise was too excessive!  (Read 1071 times)

Offline 4thtime47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help Please!! Very concerned home exercise was too excessive!
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »
My first post.... Would appreciate comments PLEASE!!

Had partial meniscus removal (right knee) last Thursday, 1/26 and sticking to Dr. exercises while at home. 

DAY 6 Post Op: Leg extension on floor:
Working hard, getting complete extension and tightness, stomach on the floor, driving foot into pillow completely into floor (10 reps/ 5 sec. each) and at about the 7th rep I felt a sharp tear on inside corner of my knee where quad makes contact with knee joint and cap.  And the last rep was even more painful.  It hurt so bad that I stopped all exercise for the day.  There was no noticeable swelling, but it hurt to the touch; hurt the rest of the evening.  Elevated and Iced, went to bed.

DAY 7 (Today) have had noticeable discomfort all day today; no leg locking and can still bare weight on leg as I have continued to limp around the house, but this area still very tender all day...stayed horizontal all day and still had bouts of very sharp pain in the noted area.

I've been religious with my routine since day after surgery and really feeling like leg muscles getting good workout, but I may have gone too far.

Someone please tell me that I simply over worked the quad muscle where it connects to the knee joint!!  Canceled all exercises today  and don't see Doc til Wenesday.

Anyone else have similar experience and had to have another surgery?

Wonderful site.

Thank You,
4thtime47

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:17:39 AM by 4thtime47 »

Offline 4thtime47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: POST OP. FeedBack PLEASE!!! Felt sharp tear while doing knee extensions!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
Sorry, I could not figure out how to modify, in order to pose the follwoing question:

But, does anyone believe that by giving my leg one full days rest that I will be set back that much?   Maybe if I forgo all exercises for one day I could benefit....It has been only 7 days since surgery.

Tw0 seperate scopes and one ACL replacement 1980's

2012 - One scope.

4thtime47

Offline ElSquinto

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Help Please!! Very concerned home exercise was too excessive!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:44:11 AM »
I can't imagine that a "Tearing" sensation followed by sharp pain is normal.  To me this sounds like a real injury, rather than just muscle soreness from overdoing it.

I can't really offer much advice other than to suggest that you try to contact the surgeon. I can't really say what sort of setback you'll encounter by not performing the exercise...but continuing to exercise while you are in this sort of pain is probably not a good idea.

Offline 4thtime47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
Was my gut feeling too.

Thank you for advice and taking time to respond.  Rested all day yesterday.

This morning no sharp pain; plan to baby knee pretty much all day. 
Also plan to do some stretching and see where everything goes from there.

Have a great day!!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 360
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
That sounds like a fairly aggressive regimen after menisectomy.  At day 7, I was probably still on SLRs, ankle pumps and heel slides and ice.  Shows how much it varies from surgeon to surgeon and indeed country to country!  When do you see your physio?

Hope all is well :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline 4thtime47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:06:57 AM »
Was definitely too agressive if I say so myself.  But have been feeling very well.  Actually of the 4 surgies I have had, this one feels the best.
I see doc again on Wednesday.  I hope he says what I felt was nothing major, but wouldn't be my luck.

Last two days (Day 8 & 9 Post Op.):
I'm completely off crutches now.  That sharp pain is truly all but gone. 
Have performed basic exercises minus the ugly one, and everything feels as good as I could expect to this point

I can only hope swelling continues to decrease and strengh is upped...R.I.C.E is awesome...

I count my blessings each day!

Thank You,
4thtime47

Offline 4thtime47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:11:44 AM »
Had my first post op. visit today.  Doc said since no pain from the agressive exercise any longer, should be no concerns.

However, he said I had way too much fluid on the knee and that he should drain it off.  I said ok, then the next thing I know he pulls out this huge needle, sticks it into my knee joint and proceeds to suck out a pint of blood.

It was great to see the knee swelling all but disappear, but I'm concerned that since my dr. visit, the swelling is coming back.

Anyone have experience with having knee drained?

4thtime47