Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Suspected ACL / MCL injury EDIT Torn Medial Meniscus  (Read 1889 times)

Offline arichmond64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Suspected ACL / MCL injury EDIT Torn Medial Meniscus
« on: January 30, 2012, 06:46:53 PM »
I was playing football on Thursday night, 26th Jan, it was 5 a side on astro with moulded boots on, I hit a shot fairly hard, it went wide of the goal, came off the boards surrounding the pitch, straight back to me at some pace, and I attempted to shoot with the side of my foot to place it into the corner. What happened was, the ball caught me on the very end of my foot (toes) and twisted my foot outwards, I instantly felt a very sharp pain where my MCL is and limped about for around 2 mins, but then the pain stopped and I played on perfectly well for the rest of the 40 minute match.

It didn't feel so bad until halfway through the night I woke up with pain, and struggled to sleep unless it was supported on a pillow. Its been a few days, and the pain in the MCL area has gone, it doesn't hurt to touch, but my knee does not feel right, which makes me suspect it could be my ACL.

What puzzles me is I can pretty much run, squat, walk up stairs quickly etc. without any pain, but I do feel like its slightly unstable, and when I make even some slight turns when walking, I feel the instability. One thing I noticed, slight discomfort when driving pressing the accelerator. If I stand on the one injured leg, I feel discomfort just below my patella and it feels asiff my knee is going to hyperextend.

I know how hard it is to get diagnosed, and treated by your regular NHS family GP so I'm trying to research for myself.

So has anyone experienced, or heard anything similar to this before?

I would appreciate any input at all, and thanks in advance.

Note: The injury occurred exactly the same as Ramires for Chelsea at the weekend, and he has injured his MCL.
Video: http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/ramires-injury-against-qpr
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:31:32 PM by arichmond64 »

Offline buel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Suspected ACL / MCL injury
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
Hi mate,
I feel for you, i really do. Well i am certainly no expert but the first thing you surely must do is go to your doctors asap!!
Ring and make an 'emergency' appointment (that's what people are able to do around my area) so that you can go the same day. Delaying wont help you at all.

Dont be too concerend about whether you can do a certain exercise or not, there are specific tests that doctors, and then surgeons/physios will do to determine what you have probably done. I say 'probably' because if there is anything i have learned on this wonderful forum it is that even an MRI scan cannot be 100% certain, only when the surgeon gets in there will he know for certain.

Annoyingly, apparently MRIs have shown what looks to be an ACL has 'gone' and then once inside the surgeon finds that isn't the case and vice-versa.
That said, if the doctor and the surgeon AND the MRI all suggest that the ACL (or MCL or PCL) has gone then you will have a pretty good idea of where you stand.

Please dont be tempted to play on it because if it has only partially torn then playing on it could really seal the deal and then you and instability willl be good friends. :( :(

Ps- Ramires's one looked nasty. Hope you're as good as him!
 ;)
Go to your doctor mate, please!!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:50:30 PM by buel »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
I second Buel's comments - head for your GP asap. If they can't diagnose it, they should refer you to an OS who can. There are manual tests that your GP (or a good physiotherapist) can do that should give you a reasonable sense of the extent of the injury. Definitely push for a referral if you can't get a clear answer.

This does sound more like an MCL injury than an ACL injury, given your description of where the pain was. A torn MCL can also cause instability, so that feeling alone doesn't mean for sure that your ACL has gone.

Keeping fingers crossed for you that this isn't too serious.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline arichmond64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »
When I read about how Ramires injured himself, I couldn't help but chuckle, such a co-incidence.

I feel like I can rule out the MLC, because there is zero pain anywhere near my MCL now, and I can't even make it hurt lol, by touching it etc.

The discomfort is more below, and inside the lower part of my knee cap, specifically under the lump of tissue at the bottom of the knee cap.

I has a sickening feeling in my stomach when I found posts and threads about people who's ACL ruptures didn't cause too much pain and loss of movement, realising that it could be the case for me!  I'm also starting to think its maybe a meniscus problem.

FML! I have never had a consistent length of time since about the age of 19 without injury, I will actually cry if its as serious as I fear. Just begun to play Futsal competitively too.

When I go to the GP's I am going to refuse to leave without a referral or an MRI scan, GP's never seem to have the first clue when it comes to soft tissues injuries cause by sport such as this.

Offline buel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
I am going to refuse to leave without a referral or an MRI scan

I like it!!!!! :D :D

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
The discomfort is more below, and inside the lower part of my knee cap, specifically under the lump of tissue at the bottom of the knee cap

That sounds more like a patellar tendon injury than anything else. It's definitely not where your ACL is located, and doesn't really sound right for meniscus either. It's also possible that you did some damage to the articular cartilage on the back of your kneecap. But this is just speculation, so don't read too much into it - only a doctor and the appropriate tests/scans can give you definite answers!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline arichmond64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
There is no pain what so ever on the actual patellar tendon.

It's so weird, it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't feel right, hard to explain, but you guys will probably know from when you have injured your knees.

Is it really possible to of tore a ligament with minimal, to no pain what so ever.

Offline buel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
you surely must do is go to your doctors asap!!

and

and once more

;) ;)

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »
As others have said, the only way to know what is wrong with YOUR knee is to see YOUR doctor...not wise to self diagnose on the strength of a YouTube video of a professional footballer.  Otherwise, if the GP is too much of a hassle, find a good sports physio and see privately, about 50 for an initial consult usually.  To be honest, they are far more expert than most GPs in sports injury

Did you have any swelling - seems very common with ACL injuries, as well as meniscus.  From my experience, you'd know if you had a meniscus injury, swelling, joint line pain, not being able to squat and possible locking and buckling.

Knee injuries take an age to heal, even a mild sprain can take weeks or months to feel right

Get thee to a professional asap.  Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline arichmond64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »
I intend to go to the doctors, I'm not even registered, its been that long.

Vickter - almost no swelling. It puzzles me because I can do almost all movements with no problem.

I play football with a sports therapist so I will have to see what he has to say aswell.

If any pain does occur, it is just below, and to the right of my patella, on the inside, just in the slight delve you have in on your knee.

Offline arichmond64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Its been a while guys. Thanks for all your help.

Finally managed to see a Physio after a long, long wait.

Turns out I have tore my Medial Meniscus, one quick test (which put me in some pain haha) showed it straight away.

She told me I am better off taking a "conservative" approach to recovery, as opposed to surgery.

Do strength exercises and no twisting activities and see how it is in 6 weeks time.