Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Excruciating Pain when Knee is Bent:  (Read 880 times)

Offline Heather3laine

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Excruciating Pain when Knee is Bent:
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
About 1 week ago, I fell down the stairs and landed directly on the flat of my knee below the knee cap  I didn't twist, rotate, or hyper extend it that I could tell.  There is bruising, but little to no swelling.  The knee feels slightly unstable, but does not give or anything like that.  HOWEVER... If I bend the knee past a 90 Degree angle it locks into position and it is INCREDIBLY painful to straighten it.  I've been operating under the assumption that it is a severe sprain and since my health insurance doesn't kick in for a couple weeks can't really afford to go to the doctor.

I know something is wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how severe it could be.  Anyone that could tell me what kind of injury this sounds like?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: Excruciating Pain when Knee is Bent:
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
Locking of your knee is never a good situation.  It means something in the joint is stuck and not allowing it to move.  I would see a doctor asap, or if you can wait for your health insurance to kick in then do that, but make sure you get it checked out by a doctor.

Offline Robin Joy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »
Heather,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident and subsequent pain and symptoms, and I hear you about no insurance. Heather, I hope  you go to a doctor anyway and have an x-ray. It may be a fracture, a displacement, or I don't know what else. It may be a closed fracture, but you should know what it is. I had an open fracture a little over a year ago and had surgery and still working on recovery. If it is a closed fracture, you need to know and have some advice about what you should and shouldn't do. If you push it beyond what you should do, you might end up doing significant damage, including pulling the break apart. Regardless of the insurance situation, I would respectfully suggest you get an exam. If  you have to make small payments for many months or years to pay for it, so be it. However, I worry that without knowing what is up you could do far more damage that would not be only completely debilitating, it could be far more costly (even with insurance).  Keep us aprised of your situation.

Robin Joy

Offline Heather3laine

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:20 PM »
Thank you both.  I will get to a doctor.  I kinda thought that was the only solution.  I'll let you know what I find out.