Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recuperating from partial patella removal and tendon repair  (Read 1203 times)

Offline JustcallmeK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recuperating from partial patella removal and tendon repair
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new here and don't know all the ins and outs of posting so if I make any mistakes please be gentle with me.

I was in an auto accident a month ago today, December 28, 2011. The air bags went off but I watched as my right knee smashed into the dashboard. The pain was like nothing I have ever known before and I had four children without any pain medication. On December 30, I had surgery to remove the smashed bottom 1/3 of my patella and to have the tendons reattached. While home recuperating I fell, felt a tremendous pop and horrible pain, and then it was all over and felt fine again. When I went to have my staples removed and x-rays taken it was discovered that I had popped three tendons off again. Last Friday, 1/20/12 I had surgery again. This time the doctor fastened my tendons to my remaining patella with three anchors, wired the anchors in place and drilled a hole through my tibia and "tied off" a tendon. I'm not using more specific medical terms because I have not been given more specific medical terms. I am trying very hard to be a good patient this time.

Now for my question, can anyone tell me what kind of recuperation time I am looking at? My doctor has been very vague about it and I am getting frustrated. After seeing him in his office before my first surgery I haven't seen him yet. My husband has seen the doctor after both my surgeries but I have only seen his physicians assistants. I have no idea how long a recuperation I should expect. When I can expect to start PT. When I can start weight bearing. What my future holds for me. This is very frustrating.

Any advice or reassurance or just information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MB7AZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Recuperating from partial patella removal and tendon repair
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »
Your case sounds similar to mine.  There were several small fragments of the patella which led to removal of the lower 20% of the patella.  Three anchors were made to attach the patella tendon to the upper patella.  I have my first appointment with the surgeon 4 weeks after the surgery and am dying to start PT.  I am extremely concerned about how I cannot lift my left leg at all.  I am in a 24 hour a day immobilizer.  It weighs about 4 -5 pounds.  I am worried about my muscle atrophy and how I will ever re-gain my ability to bend my knee.  Not being able to drive is a huge surprise 4 weeks and running.  I had no idea that this would hold me back months, so am anxious for timelines of others.  My former employer has not held my job open for me, so employment concerns loom ahead.  This is my first experience of crutches and the restrictions in daily living.  MB
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:31:39 AM by MB7AZ »