Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: (yet) another knee injury for tony  (Read 1819 times)

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
(yet) another knee injury for tony
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:59 AM »
hey guys, members new and old. Tony is making his return to KG. Just a little history about my recent(ish) knee problems. Friday Sept. 22, 2011: Went to school (after being out til 5am celebrating my softball teams city championship) after school went to work, twisted and screech, meniscus injury of the left knee. I had seen a doctor when I was younger 7 or 8 years ago, he ignored my complaints and symptoms. Throughout the following years I had pain, symptoms, etc from my left knee. So I saw the surgeon, MRI, had an appt to review my results and I had the surgery the very next day (thanks to the doctor who offered Dr. Wentzell the OR time). Come post op, I know something is different, not quite as painful, less swelling, etc. Sure enough, go to my check up and she tells me that the tear that showed up on the MRI wasn't inside the knee??? ??? lots pf fraying was visible on the lateral meniscus, slight amout on the medial. She removed about 25% of the lateral. I had been having some issues with medial meniscus in the left knee for about the last 5 weeks after a spill on some ice in the drive way. Have had to cut my weight bearing exercises out at physio actually. Fastforward to January 23, 2012: Was at a friends house and got up off their couch to come home and when I stood, my knee completely  shifted forward and felt a small "pop" inside the knee. Sat down for a little bit, pain was moderate but then the spasams, extreme pain/numbness in the toes began. So I grab my friend and say c'mon the hospital it is. We go in, spend about 5 hours (damn mcp. there was only 6 people in there in total) for the ER doctor to tell me that it's likely a partial ACL + medial meniscus tear. Kinda reasurring what I thought, no stranger to knee injuries but im frustrated by this recent injury. 1 step forward but 10 back. Any thoughts/comments? It's good to be back
Tony

09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: (yet) another knee injury for tony
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:35:23 AM »
Oh Tony! I would say welcome back but it's really too bad that your knees have brought you here again. I guess the only consolation at this point is that having been through the misdiagnosed ACL tear previously, you know what you need to be doing with regard to PT and healing up. Keep the knee moving, ice for the swelling, and quad sets and flexes to keep the muscles firing.

I guess the next thing is a long-term plan. Are you going for an MRI or scope to confirm the diagnosis? Will you try PT to see if you can strengthen the leg up without surgery, or start looking at ACL reconstruction options? At least it sounds like you have a very good physiotherapist. :)

Take care, and I hope the latest injury heals up fast. Keep us posted on how things go.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
Thanks Snowy (I think :p) I'm used to it, know what I'm going into. However, what makes this all the more confusing/difficult is that the Sept. 22nd injury was a workers compensation injury. Now by rights I should once again get workers because it is most definitley related to that injury. I see my surgeon on the 13th of Febuary, guess we'll speak more of a plan then. However, I'm gunning for whatever op I need to make this so I can walk without getting injured. I've been having way too many issues with this since I had the surgery in Oct
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 04:09:44 AM »
little update today, talked with the workers compensation rep looks like I will be getting my funding back, talked to the physio: She said "you have the sh**tiest luck of any my patients'. I have an appt at 10 in the morning, said we'll just stick to IFC and ultrasound until I see the surgeon. I'm hoping she'll do the drawer test or pivot shift, painful but will give me a better idea of whats going on. My ROM seems to be about 50%, but the last 20 degrees painful. Also similar to when I had my right acl torn having hip alignment issues. All signs say ACL, but im kinda in denial  :-[
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »
Tony so pleased your back posting even though I would much prefer it was to tell us all that everything is going well with the knee, as you said you have no luck when it comes to both those knees, good luck with PT today I hope its not too painfull and at least the wait to see Dr W is not too long this time, just take care of yourself you know the drill
Excellent on the workers comp thing I dont know much about that whole thing but I am guessing that it will cover medical expenses etc what about sick pay and stuff like that if your unable to work for now.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »
I've honestly just lucked into having follow-ups within a couple of weeks of getting hurt. Crutches and cane are getting put to use. Workers is a great service, however they dont enjoy giving away money for free so it's a fight to keep my money. Even though it's a completely legitimate workers comp issue. It'll give me money for the shifts I'm missing and cover my prescriptions. Just woke up and boy is it stiff/sore this morning.
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:55:07 AM »
Hey Tony how are things going with the knee now? is it feeling, any better? and are you still able to continue with your training with the way things are just now? when do you see your OS?
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 01:58:22 AM »
Hi Tony,

I missed this post all together, and I haven't banged into you at PT!  I am glad that you are still under Dr. Wentzell's care.  At least you don't have to wait for a new referral!  I guess you are in line for another MRI!  I have a little hint for you.  If she is going to do an MRI, ask her to order it as urgent and not routine!!!!!  The wait list for urgent MRI's is much shorter than waiting for a routine one.  It should cut down your wait by at least 4 weeks.  There is no guarantee that she will do that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  Another hint for you!  If she does order the MRI, I would suggest that you call the MRI bookings clerk.  Tell her that you are in town, and that if they get any last minute no shows that you can be available and there quickly.  Also, tell them that you are willing to come in at 0700h as well.  Many people from out of town won't take that slot!  It will mean being attached to your cell, but I have gotten mine done like that twice.  I waited 2 days for one, and a week for the other! 

The worst part with all of this is the wait game!  So, it helps to know the system!

I hope the pain settles soon and you find out what is going on in those young 80 year old knees...and be careful on all of the white stuff we have!

See ya at PT..maybe!!

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »
Hey guys! Sorry ben a bit busy the last few days. Tez, nothing has really changed, able to wt bear a lil bit better and some SLIGHT increase in ROM albeit very painful. See Dr.Wentzell on the 13th. I know I haven't banged into you in a while EmergRN, weird eh ? I'm in the next 3 days around my normal slot. Perhaps I'lkl be seing you in the next couple. Dr. W puts me down for urgent/emerg so I get in quickly. That's where having a good pt/dr relationship comes in. I'm WAY too used to the system for someone whos 19.5. I'm asking her to do WHATEVER she has to to give me the most stable/safe knee she can. This was less than 3 months after my last operation. Can't be doing this for the rest of my life...
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
I spy another "knee geek" on a treadmill while I'm getting shocked! LOL IFC is a godsend. Little perplexed as to why Sarah hasn't done the anterior drawer or anything though :s
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »
Ha!  I was just looking at the time of this post, and figured you did it from your room!

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
W. I was wrong, she did do anterior drawer and lachmans, etc. You probably heard my shrieks. LoL painful to say the least. And I'm feeling it now :( grrrrr. Back for the same tomorrow morning! I love BlackBerry though. Gave me something to do for 20 mins other then hold my pee ;) LOL
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »
What did the tests show?
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
Positive for ACL tear and Meniscus tear. Waiting on having an MRI before I believe it. Just cause I've had false positives before. Had a complete give-away last night though, so intend on having my doctor put me on NWB for a little while.
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 03:42:37 AM »
Hey guys, just a small update, see the OS in less than 8 hours from now, knee has been okay, still lots of instability/pain but making progress with ROM. I'm usually not too bad with these appointmentsbut, I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a VERY big day in terms of what happens with my leg, hell, my life. I know surgery is going to Be needed we discussed it at my 6 week post-op checkup, and the blow out is certainly going to signal that there is some signifigant issues inside the knee. Wether its pure arthritic issues or some kind of other issue I hope I can convince Dr Wentzell about how bad my knee is. And how annoyed/frustrated I am with the situation. At 19 and praying for a poly or allograft meniscus can't be good. Oh well. Must try and sleep!
Take care,

Tony
(L) injury 01/23/12