Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please help! Meniscus tear, need to understand MRI  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Knobknee0518

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help! Meniscus tear, need to understand MRI
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:16:21 PM »
I will be seeing my OS on Friday, and am wondering if I could get some clarification on my MRI results in order to know what questions to ask regarding treatment.
Here are the details of my report:
1)  Complex medial meniscus tear, with small fragment flipped into the medial gutter from the inferior anticular surface. Pseudo-discoid medial meniscus.
2) low grade mcl sprain
3) tricompartmental chondromalacia, more pronounced at the patellofemoral interval.
4) moderate knee joint effusion.

My question is: I have read that older adults (I'm 59), do not heal as well as younger adults from surgery. Would it be better to treat with excercise and HA shots.? Thnks for you help!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:34:36 PM by Knobknee0518 »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 94
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Please help! Meniscus tear, need to understand MRI
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
1)  Complex medial meniscus tear, with small fragment flipped into the medial gutter from the inferior anticular surface. Pseudo-discoid medial meniscus.
Ans: A discoid meniscus is a meniscus which is coin-shaped rather than crescent-shaped. Pseudo=means "false". So I am not sure if the torn bit that has flapped out is making it look like a discoid meniscus. It is the meniscus on the inner (medial) side that is torn, and the tear is in more than one direction, making it a complex tear.
2) low grade mcl sprain
Ans: The medial collateral ligament appears to have been damaged, but not torn through
3) tricompartmental chondromalacia, more pronounced at the patellofemoral interval.
Ans: Apparent softening of the joint cartilage behind the kneecap (patellofemoral compartment) and of either (or both) of the tibial and femur on both the inner (medial) and outer (lateral) side of the knee in the main joint space (the medial and lateral tibio-femoral compartments)
4) moderate knee joint effusion.
Ans: A moderate amount of abnormal fluid is seen within the joint space
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:20:45 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 94
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Please help! Meniscus tear, need to understand MRI
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
If the tear is complex, then exercise is unlikely to heal it, and therefore age is not really the issue.
--
KNEEguru