Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL lack of healing? Any Opinions  (Read 40679 times)

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
MCL lack of healing? Any Opinions
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
My latest knee inury was MCL damage in July. It took nearly two months for this to be correctly diagnnosed because of an amazingly stupid misread of my mri (Which claimed my surgically removed meniscus had grown back ???) I used crutches for a while when it first happened, but "everybody" swore it was "just fine" so I did a lot of walking on it depsite severe pain. Once I finally got a sane radiologist to read the MRI, lo and behold there was damage exactly where I had told everybody it hurt for weeks.

It still hurts. It's not a 9 on the pain level now, but it's a good 5 most days. Is it possible that all the walking on it that I did because of the shoddy misdiagnosis prevented much healing from ever occuring? The pain is pretty darm sharp at times. Yeah, I have a ton of other knee damage too, but I never used to have the burniing sharp medial pain until that latest injury. Anybody have similar experience?
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Ghani

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: MCL lack of healing? Any Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
Hey man, I had a grade 3 MCL tear and its healing soundly. According to my knee consultant the best treatment is to brace the leg at no more than 30 degrees for up to 8 weeks. Its tough going but that is the treatment, the MCL is difficult to repair with surgery it needs to heal naturally, brace it, regular massage to break down scar tissue, rub black seed oil into it if you can.

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:42:52 AM »
But since it was incorrectly diagnosed for so many weeks, even when I wasn't walking on it,  it wasn't braced straight or even near straight. I'm wondering if it healed all wrong or never healed at all. :(
'90 -2nd menscus tear
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »
Treatment/protocol for an MCL seems to vary by doctor. But they all universally agree an MCL heals on its own in time. Motion is actually good for the MCL as it encourages blood flow (and healing) to the area in my opinion. MCL laxity should be easily diagnosed by a valgus stess test, MRI isnt that essenitial in diagnosing this injury. If the MCL is indeed still a problem, your OS should feel the laxity when performing this test. It could also be possible the MCL is healed, and you have other problems remaining causing the pain. 6 months later, maybe its time to repeat that MRI, and compare to see what's going on if they can't tell with a physical examination? If the MCL hasnt healed, which is rare, they can go in and fix.

For what its worth, when I tore mine, I was put in a hinged brace (Full ROM), was FWB and walking on it in less than a week, ditched the brace at about 3 weeks. But it didnt finish 'healing' until about 8-10 weeks.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline skier21

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:14:35 AM »
I had a different experience. My MCL began to heal but the laxity remained. I had an open procedure to repair it. This is fairly unusual though.  I agree with other posters.  I would definitely follow up with your os and get another MRI for comparison. Good luck  :)
April 2011 R Knee ACL recon. and open MCL repair
Aug 2011 R Knee Scope LOA and MUA
Dec 2011 R Knee MU
Sept 11, 2012 R knee LOA and MUA, removal of cyclops lesion
Sept 21, 2012 R knee scope infection & debriedment, hemotoma

Offline Hopfulnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
So sorry to hear about your knee woes.  Have no exp with your other injuries but can tell you you're not alone with a slow healing MCL. You didn't mention whether you're doing pt? I will share that i got a grade II tear skiing in Feb '10 and it is still not better, and have been told by OS it can take a year or more to heal. Although I've made huge strides, going from 15 degrees extension, 50 flexion to near normal , Im back in pt again after two setbacks involving twisting knee.My new OS put me in a longer knee brace for during day when I'm walking around, to give the ligament a rest and try and tighten it up. My knee feels much more stable with it. So for me, bracing, pt, Naproxen and cortisone injections are making injury a little easier to bear. Home stationary bike helps too, and trying not to overdo activity whenever possible. Hope this helps.   :)
Feb 2013 RK arthroscopy/chondroplasty,synovectomy
Aug 2012 - failed Euflexxa,big pain LK too now
Neurontin early,cortisone inj x3, pt x3, Graston
May 2012 - MRI RK
Dec 2011 - MRI RK
Feb 2011 - MCL tear grade II ski

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:14:54 AM »
hey hopfulnee,   I tried PT 3 places, over several months. Fiasco doesn't cover it. I have an obscenely high pain tolerance and the last PT visit I condescended to go to had me standing between the stupid bars bawling because it hurt so bad. I have a brace I wear some. It helps.... somedays. Naxproxen works about as well as a tic-tac and I'm allergic to steroids. Nice thoughts but they don't work for me.  :(  I really don't think the MCL damage ever healed. It's coming up on 6 full months since that particular injury. I keep wondering what else got missed.
'90 -2nd menscus tear

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
Just some new info to throw out. I found out (by ordering testing from an on line place that sends you to LabCorp) that I have stupidly horriibly low Vit D. This dovetails with a batch of research articles supporting the idea that lack of vit D inhibits ligament healing ( gee, ya think?) One study was done specifcially on ACL repairs and recovery and another study was done on NFL players suffering muscular and ligament injuries.

I think it absolutely floored the docs I went to see that I tested that low (after "everybody" told me repeatedly- nah you're probably fine there's no need to test)
'90 -2nd menscus tear

Offline katieobrien

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
I had surgery on my MCL, ACL and Meniscus almost 2 years ago, but even today by MCL feels very loose and lax, but there is no pain. I recently started running and noticed the laxity, but my knee does not feel unstable when I walk, what does this mean??

Offline healingup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
Hey folks,

Thought I reopen this thread. How are you guys doing wth your MCL laxity? I sffered a grade 3 tear of the MCL (along with ACL and meniscus). They fixated the superficial MCL back to the femur so thats fine, but the POL ligament and capsule are still lax. So when mij knee is in extention there is still opening of the jointline. Accedent is now 12w back, operation 2 weeks. Any progression in your MCL laxity? Can I expect any improvement in the future? I am considering PRP injections as well, next to bracing.