Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex  (Read 1247 times)

Offline CraigR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
I had full knee replacement on JUne 20, 2011.  My recovery has not gone well.  I have indicated to my doctor several times that I think there is something loose in there.  6+ months after surgery I am in pain 24 hours a day, whether sitting, laying down, sleeping, standing or walking.  Yesterday I started doing research on line and discovered the article "Zimmer Next Gen "unacceptably high" failure rate".  This article was an eye opener because I think it may apply to me.  I wish my doctor had told me there was an ongoing investigation into the Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex knee component.  Honestly, I know that I have a Zimmer knee but I don't know for sure if it is the Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex knee.

The last time I had an appointment with my doctor I told him that I was continuing to have pain around the clock and told him then that I thought there was something loose or very wrong, perhaps hairline fractures or something else.  My doctor took x-rays of my knee at that time and said that everyhting appeared to be healing fine.  But he did not recommend a bone scan to determine if one of the components was loose.

I should have started researching this months ago.  The articles I have read in the last 24 hours indicate that a bone scan can be used to determine if there is any sign of loosening of the Zimmer components.  Now I'm a little angry and want to demand a bone scan.  I have left voicemails yesterday and today indicating what my research has turned up and asking for him to schedule a bone scan.

So far no response.  What should I be doing?  I am on my wife's insurance plan and she may be leaving her job shortly.  I feel compelled to get to the bottom of what is happening for my own well being and for our protection if our insurance plan goes away.  Can anyone give me some guidance? ;) 

Offline milligan1967

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
Craig,

I feel your pain.  I also have had trouble since my R knee replacement in Dec 2011.  Original Ortho Surgeon ignored my complaints and finally sent me to another one.  New ortho doctor diagnosed me with rsd and did a bone scan which showed knee could be coming loose.  He sent me to a pain management doctor which said the rsd was caused by multiple knee surgeries within a six month period(3).  Now I have to get sympathetic nerve blocks once a week for five weeks.  Of course, the results might not be good if I have to have another knee replacement.  I also have a zimmer knee.  I went to the hospital I was in for the knee replacement and got my medical records, it list all components that were placed.  Mine are known for coming unglued, guess the original doc never read reviews.  Very frustrated and depressed.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:52 AM »
Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  You are certainly entitled to feel angry and this is a good place to get it out. However I would caution you about the tone you use with your OS-if they feel accused they may react rather than act on your concerns.   When you contacted your OS did you explain that your wife might be changing jobs and you are hoping to get this settled on the same insurance?   That could be the information that would get you the bone scan a little sooner.  Hopefully they will get back to you by Monday, but if not I would contact your GP to keep them in the loop and to ask about what direction they would take at this point.  I don't know what your insurance rules are, but you would probably need a referral for a second opinion if your OS doesn't take some action soon and your GP could give you that.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Linda :)
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »
sometimes if you're having issues and your concerns are being ignored by your OS, your GP can step in and order the tests... or get you a referral for a second opinion. just make sure to get pre-authorization from your insurance before going if your gp will order the tests.

In some cases, you can get your gp to order the tests, because it's a time-saver to have them already done before seeing another OS... put that way, it may be possible to get them ordered, and get a second opinion OS scheduled simultaneously.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support