Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can I join the A.C.I. party ??  (Read 11934 times)

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
Re: Can I join the A.C.I. party ??
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »
Hi, thornburg.  Glad all went well at your appointment.  The great news is the incision looks good and has no infection... good luck with all your ROM goals.  I was on the opposite path as you.  I was limited to 40 degrees for 2 weeks and then 60 degrees for 2 more.  I wasn't allowed past 90 for 3 months.  Don't fear bending the knee with no weight (in CPM or hanging).  All will be well.  There isn't any compression at that point.  Just be careful when you're up & about  :P  -- I know there are graft failure stories on this site, but I don't believe as early as CPM or anything, but I probably pushed any out of my mind to stay in a positive light  ;D 

I worried a lot when I started more aggressive PT and was off crutches.  I think it's perfectly sane to be that way.  I actually am still really careful, especially with all the ice & snow we've had already.  Dr. Cole always kept me pretty stress free to be honest.  He kept assuring me that it would take quite a twist to break anything.  That was after the brace came off and all.  Just keep doing what you're doing and as long as you're moving around with the brace on as the doc said, you'll do great. 

Keep up the good work, and don't stress or worry too much.  You'll do great by following your doc's directions  :D

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 03:08:14 AM »
Thornburg - every doctor seems to be different in terms of flexion.  I have not gone past 45 in the cpm and I'm at day 15.  I was told to try the dangle method over the bed to get it to 90, but I have not yet felt comfortable enough to try this.  I may or may not try it before my appt. on friday.  Like Room101, I believe after friday they will have me increase the cpm 5degrees per day up to 60 through week four. 

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
6 Week Post-Op Update

Saw the doc and took x-rays, all looks good on the "inside", so far.   The spacing looks good and he seem pleased with what he viewed at this point in the process.

I am officially off crutches, unless I feel need 1 for extra support on those long walking trips through Target.  I am cleared to do more exercising like stationary bike, swimming with flutter kicks only, walking in the pool, eliptical (about a week or so), walking and all the leg lifts my heart desires.   NO stairs or inclines or loading of knee for 6 months!  I have 1 week of PT left, then on my own!
I now just need to focus on strengthening my leg/quad and not loading the knee!   He said, listen to you knee!  It will tell you when you are doing too much or is not ready for a particular exercise.

I feel pretty good, still have my bad days.  Usually after I have over did it the day/night before.   It is really a challenge to remember not to load the knee.

Anyone got any feedback from their experience on how the next 6 weeks should go or suggestions!   I guess this is the part of recovery/rehab that every warned about, the time when damage can still occur but yet feeling ready to do more ????   I did not get a RX for patience pills !   ;D

Thanks!

- thornburg

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »
Hi, Thorn.  Sounds like you're doing great.  Nice work!  It gets very difficult to hold back, I can tell you that.  I have learned great discipline and patience comes and goes.  I stayed in physical therapy for around 5 or 6 months.  I think it helped contain my enthusiasm.  My therapist and my trainer were very good at wearing me out 4 days a week without bearing weight.  Enjoy the biking and walking and just be mindful.  It was the toughest part of the rehab, mentally.  I was somewhat in the same boat from months 6-12 also... although I could do limitless walking/biking and start moderately loading my leg. 

Take care,
Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »
Hi Thornburg, you're doing just great! : ;D ;D

I had complications at this stage.  Loads of scarring limited ROM so back to OR at 14 weeks post-op – haven't felt tempted to overdo it as far as cartilage is concerned so maybe it'll be OK in the end.  I hope so!

That said, I had decided to adopt an evolutionary approach by having a programme for 6 weeks and slowly progressing that 10% every other session then review.  Your PT may do that anyway to take the thinking off your mind.

Enjoy your new-found freedom! :)
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »
3 month post-op update:

Hello All ACI'ers!  Well, I am 3 months post op on my left knee and saw the OS today.  He said all looks good, swelling is down and ROM looks good too.  Strength is slowly (very slowly) returning too.   I am to keep doing what I have been doing, guess we can call it status quo!

I am up to 45 min on recumbent bike ( stop there due to boredom) and 10 min on elliptical machine.  the "spinning type" bike did that a few times and knee was not ready so backed off that style for a bit.  May try it again in few weeks.  I am walking almost normal, no limp and can last about 45 min before the knee gets tired (my dogs are happy for this too).  Been swimming a whole lot, several times a week .. the knee really likes swimming!  < Just keep swimming >  ;-)

Goal is to increase time on elliptical machine and see if I can get the quad a bit more defined.

anybody got an 'new' exercises that I can try when at gym .. getting bored with STL, balancing on the one leg, hamstring curls!

Next follow up is 6 months .. where he said I can do stairs and more than 30 degree WB bend with my next visit ... I am sooo looking foward to May now!!!

Thanks for listening!  I'll drop in again in a few months!

- thornburg

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »
Hi Thornburg

Here are a few exercises you could check out with your PT (you may already be familiar with them): exercises on a gym ball (e.g. hip raises); exercises on a bosu or cushion or wobble board in line with your protocol (I was doing mini squats 1 and 2 leg); lots of core and glutes work (e.g. backwards walking).

As I said, check these are OK for your with your PT or OS, though it sounds like you're doing really great! :)

1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline reepler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »
How are you doing so far with with carticel?  I also see Dr Farr in Indy!  He is one of the best.  He did a carticel implant in my right knee almost 10 years ago.  I was part of the STAR study when he first began doing the carticel implants.  It was a long road to get back on my feet.  It took almost a year before I could function back to normal activities.  I now am having a cartilage allograft done by Dr Farr on my left knee.  I am on a donor waiting list and he says it could be two weeks to 6 months before a donor is found.  They drew fluid off and injected cortisone, now I wait.  He didn't want to do carticel in my left knee because I am now in my mid fourties and obviously if I'm having problems with cartilage in both knees then it's unstable to do carticel.  I'm kinda weirded out with getting donor tissue but I trust Dr. Farr completely.  I went to a ortho in Muncie and they wouldn't even touch my knee so it's back to driving to Indy (about a 2 hour drive) but I think that is the best choice because of Dr. Farr.  The guy knows his knees!  My advise is to follow his directions to the letter, in the long run it will help you heal better.  If my allograft doesn't work then I am looking at  a TKR.  My carticel knee is going strong.  I did have to have one scope for over growth and hardware removal but it was a walk in the park and made the ROM back to where it should be.  Good luck and know it will get better.

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »
Hey there reepler -

I am doing well so far at the 3 month mark with my carticel implant.   It is amazing how the daily pain I had is gone already, now i have different aches, but different due to over-use of my knee.  It is just not strong yet to keep up with the rest of me!  I was told to be patient, cuz I want to go do so much more activity wise.   I had the surgery on my left knee ... and now the right knee is starting to have the pain and we talked it probably will need the same procedure and when I am ready to proceed, we will go get an MRI.  I am not ready for this process again .. on my good knee!   :-\

I'll keep you posted!

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

All ACI'ers -

5 months post op and starting to hear "grinding" noise again, so much like I remember from pre-op.  anyone out there experience this too?

the grinding occurs when I go almost straight legged from about 15 degrees.   This is making me very very nervous!

A call to the doc is in order just to make me feel less stressed, however thought I would throw this out to the board and see if any others experience this too.

one more thing, at 5 months should I feel great yet?  cuz, frankly, the knee feels ok ... to the degree of questioning my decision and serious pondering before the other knee is scheduled!

willing to hear all thoughts, please share!

take care all!
- thornburg

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »

All ACI'ers -

5 months post op and starting to hear "grinding" noise again, so much like I remember from pre-op.  anyone out there experience this too?

the grinding occurs when I go almost straight legged from about 15 degrees.   This is making me very very nervous!

A call to the doc is in order just to make me feel less stressed, however thought I would throw this out to the board and see if any others experience this too.

one more thing, at 5 months should I feel great yet?  cuz, frankly, the knee feels ok ... to the degree of questioning my decision and serious pondering before the other knee is scheduled!

willing to hear all thoughts, please share!

take care all!
- thornburg

Thornburg:  I hate to break it to you, but we are one week from 4months post.   ;)

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
4 months .. gosh, a girl can dream can't she thinking its been 5 months!!   ;D

Offline mr c

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
Hello to all. I'm in law enforcement n been out of work for 3yrs , not even light duty. I've had 4 knee surgeries since 2008: (1) arthoscopic lateral release, (2) 3" incision lateral re-release of both mcl, (3) scope with shaving of knee, (4) aci surgery with 2screws below knee cap in tibia into shin bone ALL because I completely tore my inner mcl ligament (kicked in inner thigh area directly in left knee)n had severe case of osteoporosis all in left knee. Issue is alot of crunching n grinding n sitting or standing to long knee stiffens n locks. Have to easily move knee to shift it out of lock. Up n especially down stairs is a task. Leg pressing feels like I'm getting my strength back but not able to walk swiftly because of stiffness n sharp needle pain. Not able to kneel on it (very sharp pains). I'm just afraid I wont b able to perform my duty after 12yrs n I'm only 36 From running 5miles 3x a week to not even doing steps easily is very discouraging. Anyone with positive information please post your comments

support