Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: RE: MACI Update - Graft tear and 50% wear.  (Read 2017 times)

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
RE: MACI Update - Graft tear and 50% wear.
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »
All,

Before I start I just want to say that without having the MACI done 7 & 8yrs ago my life was crap. Couldn't walk without crutches and taking strong meds all day & night. Since I had them done I have been able to live a pretty active life and done some amazing things with my family. I would not swap this for anything.

I had an arthroscopy on 15/10/11 at RNOH Stanmore, under Mr Pollock & his excellent team. Initially when I had the MRI scan a few weeks ago I was told that I had a tear in my medial meniscus cartilage and they could repair it. Unfortunately the tear was in fact part of my original MACI graft done 7yrs ago that had come loose. I suspect I did this when twisting my knee at the end of last year when trapping a football whilst coaching. It is the only occasion I can remember when I did something and immediately got a painful reaction and knee swelling. They also found some of the new cartilage was overgrown and trimmed it back, whilst also finding one area with little cartilage left at all!

The plan now is to see my OS in six weeks time and then discuss a long-term mangement plan for my knee to see if we can get another 5-7yrs out of it before having to have TKR. That would take me to 50 and if you had said that the MACI would delay the inevitable for that long when I first had it done then I would do exactly the same again.

Still not in great mental shape about this but once I see my OS then things might be a bit clearer.

I also have a new job starting in five weeks time and this will give me something positive to focus on.

Jules
Julian

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: RE: MACI Update - Graft tear and 50% wear.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
Hi Julian

Many thanks for posting this news.  I really appreciate your dedication to everyone here and providing a full report on your knee.

I can imagine your feelings at the moment as you come to terms with your fears before you can refix your focus on what to do.

As you said, you've had some wonderful years since the MACI and I hope that the solutions you discuss with your medical team provide you with many more years of activity that seemed lost to you years ago.  Nevertheless, it must be hard to face this news when you had returned to so much activity.

Good luck with your new job!  I hope it gives you the lift you need at this moment.

Keep posting your journey!

:-*
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline Thabo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
Hi Julian

Hang in there!
Your posts have been an inspiration for many here including me. You are right, there is no point in having regrets. As you say, you have had a very active life since the MACI.  Good luck with whatever follows and I hope you can yet again regain your activities.
Overuse injury 2003.
Chondroplasty and medial synovectomy May 2006.
Now bilateral grade 3/4 chondromalacia.
Bilateral patelar microfracture 04/2009, R HTO 10/2009.
R hip impingement surgery 05/2010, L hip impingement surgery 09/2010
Stage 1 MACI  14/01/11
Stage 2 MACI R patella 11/03/11

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
Thanks for your comments and so glad that I have been able to help others, this is the main reason I keep popping back with updates from time to time.

My knee has settled down the last few weeks and is even back to normal. I have realised however that I need to look after what I have left and apart from walking and my gym work I will no longer try and push my knee. Last year I was running well and really enjoying it and this has made me re-asess my priorities.

Years ago my goal was to walk again pain free and I can still do that. So the news isn't that bad and I can still keep fairly active without suffering from constant pain & the debilitating side effects that this brings.

I am also enjoying the new job, something I couldn't have considered doing in the past. So not all bad news.

Have a good Christmas and will post again in the New Year.

Jules
Julian

support