Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI post op numbness!  (Read 1515 times)

Offline vegeta_goddess

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI post op numbness!
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:15:37 AM »
Okay, I had my MACI operation about 4 weeks ago and half my knee cap has been and still is completely numb. It's to the left of the main scar and also above the athroscopy scar on the left as well.

Has anyone else experienced numbness after their MACI operation? Is it normal to lose feeling in part of your knee or is this something that I should phone my OS about?

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: MACI post op numbness!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »
It is common to get some numbness after any surgery. Sometimes the nerves get damaged a bit during surgery.  Usually it it temporary.  I personally have some permenant numbness near my surgery site.  It's not a bad trade with the pain I had before surgery.  If you are concerned about it, talk with your OS. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
As my OS put it, 'numbness is a feature of MACI, not a complication'.  In other words, it's normal.  The feelings return in some and residual numbness continues for others.

As 2BadKnees said, talk to your OS if you are concerned.  Also talk to your PT to see if they can suggest things to do to help stimulate regrown of nerves, e.g. stroking skin, etc.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
Hey there.  I am about 5 weeks post-op from a LR and Medial Plication.  My incision was about 10 cm long (5 inches).  Everything to the lateral side of the incision is numb.  But it has progressively got better since I had the surgery.  From what I have read there is a main nerve running down the medial side of your knee and it fingers out to the lateral side of the knee.  Once the nerve fingers are severed they have to regenerate back towards the medial side.  Some people regain full nerve sensation and some people don't.  Most of my feeling has come back but I can still tell that there is some numbness there.  I will trade a little numbness for a good knee though!  It is not really big deal but read up on the internet and ask you OS about it.