Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any SImilar Experiences?  (Read 6218 times)

Offline spinmerightround

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Photography Portfolio!
Any SImilar Experiences?
« on: December 27, 2011, 05:17:37 AM »
Merry Christmas!

On October 9th, I was playing soccer and "twisted" my right knee. I went to kick the ball with the inside of my foot (so my foot was rotated at the ankle) and an opponent kicked at the same time. Apparently he was much stronger than me, as the force of the tackle pushed the bottom half of my leg backward. I felt the ligaments on the lateral side of my knee pull and it felt like my knee was being separated. Had severe swelling directly after the injury and could not bend or straighten my knee. I have pain diagonally across the center of my knee, on the medial side above my shin bone, and on the entire lateral side, as well as a general feeling of instability, and I cannot bend my leg past about 100-110*.

Orthopedic Surgeon diagnosed a possible MCL sprain and recommended 2 weeks of PT. The PT helped me get my leg straight but otherwise did not seem to make much of a difference, so he requested an MRI. The nurse from the Ortho's office who called with the MRI results said it only showed a bruised bone and I was to rest for 6 weeks. By the time my follow up appointment came around, I had no progress- I still could not bend my leg. The ortho now thinks that I may have some torn cartilage behind the kneecap that did not show up on the MRI, so surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday. I've had both knees scoped before, so I know what to expect, but I'm starting to freak myself out because this time, I don't know what the ortho is going to find when he goes in and, therefore, don't know what to expect in terms of rehab. My gut tells me I've done some ligament damage, whether ACL or LCL, because of where the pain is mostly located, the instability, and the sensation of pulling/slipping if I move my leg just right.

So, has anyone else injured their knee in a similar manner? What was your diagnosis?