Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lou's Road to Recovery-RPT  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Lou's Road to Recovery-RPT
« on: December 23, 2011, 05:24:37 AM »
Newbie here. Been wanting to start a dairy for a few reasons. Biggest is to get things off my chest and on paper so to speak and to be able to look a progress!  So here it goes:

Ruptured my left patella tendon on the 29th of November. Not diagnosed until the 6 of  December and surgery was the 8th of December. I did it playing basketball in a pick-up game at a church league!  Mind you I played offensive line in college so had no business playing hahahahaha. When it happened I never felt so much pain at one particular time. Wow.

Fastforward to week of surgery. Wow was I scared over tr surgery itself. THE AFTER SHOULD OF SCARED ME!!!  I just wasn't ready for the no weight bearing, knee locked out situation. Everything sucked for a week from my wife going to work to going to the bathroom. We won't even mention a shower. Out of the question hahaha.  I was on percasets after surgery and holy cow. I was more like cry baby on those than not having pain MEDS. Needless to say. Those stopped quick. My wife had enouhjt hahaha.

Alright now we are at the 15 day post op. went yesterday to get stitches out and see what Doc had to say. Says I need to quad set allllll day, start weight bearing, no bending knee yet.  He is happy with swelling and pain. Swelling is being kept at bay and there isn't any pain knock on wood.  Taking ibuprofen every six hours for swelling and pain. Only took two to see effect. Might be stupid or a great choice. We will soon find out.

Have to mention my rock in all this which is my wife. I know this is hard on us but also our loved ones. This holiday season we need to keep this in mind at All Times. Without those people in our lives we would be stuck like chuck. A song comes to mind to close out today's journal. 

Cause God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
And for when I think I lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you
Gave me you
There’s more here than what we’re seeing

Night. Please reply if you'd like, take easy.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
Re: Lou's Road to Recovery-RPT
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 02:44:22 AM »
Yeah no one is really ready for the immobility that comes from after surgery.  The first week for me really sucked also.  I was quite depressed for a few days after surgery.  After I talked to my aunt I found out that that is a side effect of the anesthesia, the docs just never tell you that.  I am in a straight leg cast for 6 weeks before I can start PT or bending.  Merry Christmas!

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
I'm still 8 wks away from un-bracing following a posterolateral corner rebuild and you're right, the lack of mobility is a nightmare. At least I dont have to cook Christmas dinner this year though.....every cloud has a silver lining etc lol ::)
2/12/11 - Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction (LARS open surgery)

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:07:25 AM »
Alright guys I am 19 days post op. Nothing really new to report here. Still a bit early for PT but quad setti g has been going wonderful. Weight bearing is feeling new to me but slowly getting used to it. Sleeping is easier yet I need to get off this bed at midnight bs. Christmas evE and Christmas day was great to get out of the house and see family. It's always special to see family.  Can't wait to work next week!!  I also have a PT frind that has answered every stupid question i had so far  thanks to her i sleep a little better 
That's all for now!! 

Lou

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:59:10 PM »

Good to hear that it's settling down Lou - I agree it's always great to get out the house and see family especially when you've been stuck indoors for weeks (i'm day 26 post op and have had severe 'Cabin Fever' at times lol).

2/12/11 - Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction (LARS open surgery)

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Coming up on 4 weeks postop here on Thursday. Excited to go to doc in hopes he lets PT start but also mentally prepared for that not to happen. Christmas was great getting out of the house to see family. So happy I did that!!  I'm weight bearing with the crutches much better. Hoping I can loss those things soon. I'm doing better though all around!!!!!!!!

LOU

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Good job Lou!  I know I ditched the crutches as soon as I could.  I was told to be weight bearing right out of surgery just with the crutches for as long as I needed them.  I ditched them after 4 days unless I went into town or anything like that.  Hubby was not impressed, he thought I should have been on them for way longer, I just hated them!  I didn't care how long it took me to gimp around the house I was not using them....I am a little stubborn though.  Hopefully you can start PT soon and it sounds like you are going back to work this week?  What do you do?  Now that I am more mobile at home I don't really want to go back to work!! I still have a couple of weeks I think, I have to get a Letter of Release to return to work from the Doc.  We will see what happens.  Take Care Lou.