Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fractured Patella....Post Op 4 weeks..going CRZY!!!  (Read 1123 times)

Offline rella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured Patella....Post Op 4 weeks..going CRZY!!!
« on: December 21, 2011, 04:28:03 AM »
Hi ya all,  Mind if I whine???
I am just four weeks tomorrow post op for falling on spilled soup and breaking my patella. Surgery and hospital stay for two nights and I've been home since. I had home care for a couple weeks by relatives. For two weeks I have been tryining to get around on crutches and without, just limping along. I had a two week follow up two weeks ago and she removed over twenty stitches. The surgeon said i had to leave the brace on, without mobility for four weeks. Sleeping in this thing is not fun. Tomorrow I start PT, however Im not sure what they will do besides open the brace up 15 percent as the doctor ordered. Not sure about exercise?  I am worried that my poor knee will be "stuck" in this position and NEVER stretch out or function again. If I take the brace and wrap off and stand it is just wobbly, like a rag doll!!  I am a very high energy gal and this is getting to me horribly.  Any idea when I might be okay to go back to work and how did any of you even sit at a desk at work without bending your knee???  I take about one pain pilll per day now, only when Im up a lot. I broke down and drove the other day to town, it is just unamerican to shop on the internet for Christmas toys!!! I was exhausted after the trip, however, and hurting. So, please, if you would, let know know what you think my recovery might entail, how long you had swelling (still do), walked without crutches or brace, had no more pain, and if you have any lifelong side effects??  This has been a little nightmare for me. I suppose I will learn patience...I guess I might as well accept it.  I have been reading some posts here and it sounds like perhaps some of you don't live in US and have quite different doctors and care??  I am happy to have found YOU all though, I don't think most folks have a clue how complicated and difficult a knee break is!! THX much I hope you are all having fun Christmas partying and shopping becuz I AM NOT!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Love Rella

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: Fractured Patella....Post Op 4 weeks..going CRZY!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:06:47 AM »
Hi Rella and welcome to the forum.

I kind of sort of know what you are going through.... well at least with the brace and all.  I am almost 3 weeks post-op for a Lateral Release (LR) and Open Medial Plication.  I am in a straight leg brace for 6 to 8 weeks without bending my knee at all.  So I hear your pain there.  I cannot drive even though it is my left knee.  I am on Short Term Disability for work until I start some PT.  Best thing to do is to take it slow and listen to what your doctors say.  I am in Canada so I sort of know what you are dealing with.  But every doc does have their own protocol for how rehab should be. 

My hubby took me into town to finish up my Xmas shopping today.  I think we spent about 5 hours in town and by the end I was aching to go home.  My knee is a little more swollen than it normally is after a day of chillaxin on the recliner chair.  My muscles in that leg are completely shot.  My calf muscle is pretty much non-existant now and my quad is not much better.

I do not know a lot about a broken patella but I imagine your first course of action at PT would be muscle stimulation and they will probably show you how to do some single leg raises and stuff like that.  If you have questions make sure to ask as someone on this forum will probably be able to steer you in the correct direction.

Take care!

Offline jeffykneecap

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fractured Patella....Post Op 4 weeks..going CRZY!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »
Hi Rella, how is the recovery going? You may want to read SueJS postings and mine (search under "shattered patella") for our documentaries. Sue was a GREAT support for me, since she had been through the same shattered patella and ORIF surgery two months earlier. We traded a lot of stories, and maybe some will be helpful. I know I gained a lot of strength and confidence from the postings on KneeGeeks.
Hope your recovery has moved along!
wishing you a speedy recovery, jeffykneecap
6/4/11-Shattered patella
6/5/11-Surgery,ORIF
6/7/11-hospital release
6/17/11-staples removed, 40% flex on Bledsoe device
7/15/11 - OS visit - start PT, walking, no brace
7/18/11 - 10/17/11 PT visits
8-12-11 Clearance for golf
10/21/11 - OS release, normal activity, no more PT, self exercise

support