Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need help understanding MRI diagnosis!  (Read 4488 times)

Offline SSC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need help understanding MRI diagnosis!
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
Hi all, posted a few months back when I hurt my knee, now its a follow up but thought a fresh thread would be best.

I had an ACL recon 3 years ago, im 26 and my knee never got back to 100% and a few months ago after playing cricket it was giving me the same old issues. Ive had the MRI but due to an admin error ive got to wait until Jan to see my ortho. My physio diagnosed that my new ACL was intact but 'very long' and offering me no support. The written report for my MRI is below, I can only partially translate it out so if anyone can help clarify the jargon id be so grateful to help me come to terms with what im facing:

Clinical Indication: ACL reconstruction 3 yrs back, pain and discomfort.

Technique: sagittal T1, 3D-WATS, GRE, coronal STIR, axial PFS

Findings: Post operative status. The tibial tunnel is normal in position and ACL graft is intact.
The PCL and collateral ligaments are normal. Patella is high placed with patellar tendon/lateral femoral condyle friction syndrome. There is a tear in posterior horn of medial meniscus. The lateral meniscus is normal. Degenerative changes in pattelofemoral joint with reduced lateral joint space. Mild joint effusion with synovial reaction and fluid in the suprapatellar bursa.

Conclusion: Tear in posterior horn of medial meniscus. Patella tendon/lateral femoral condyle friction syndrome. Degenerative chances in patellofemoral joint with reduced lateral joint space. Mild joint effusion.

Recommendation: Orthopaedic referral.

Does that make sense to anyone? Would massively appreciate if someone could list out and summarise whats going on with my bloody knee!

Cheers.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Need help understanding MRI diagnosis!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
sounds like your ACL is ok radiographically at least, but your have kneecap maltracking?  is that right?  does your kneecap feel unstable and tracking towards the outside with pain?

Offline SSC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »
Is that what all that means? What about my mensicus and the trapped fluid?

Ive got no obvious issues with my kneecap so slightly confusing!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »
Says you have a tear in the rear bit of the medial (inside of knee) meniscus - doesn't say how big.  You have mild swelling (effusion) in the knee.  You have damage around the knee cap laterally (outside).  Degenerative/wear and tear - presumably due to some sort of maltracking - not trauma

Referral to surgeon - he/she will advise on what to do with the meniscus and the articular cartilage and if the new ligament is stretched I assume (as per the physio)

What symptoms do you have specifically?

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Looks like you have fluid in the joint and a meniscal tear and something wrong with the kneecap.  Either due to the degenerative condition (from the issues you were having before maybe?) or it could be entirely new.  You would think new because they should have fixed the meniscus when they were repairing the ACL.

support