Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post Plica Removal Advice  (Read 3793 times)

Offline Foley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post Plica Removal Advice
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »
First of all ide like to say hi to everyone on here, i came across the site while googleing some questions. Im 26 Male from Birmingham, so hey everyone.

Basically I used to play a lot of football and do a lot of circuit training, however I devoloped a sharp pain sort of under my left patella everytime i put pressure through it, it was fine walking. However when i came to run climb stairs or kneel down i would get a sharp pain behind the patella. Driving was ok at first but then if i drove for longer than 20 mins i would get an ache in the medal area under my patella until i stretched my leg out the pain was gone.

I was referd for an x-ray which showed nothing, i then got referd to my local orthapedic doctor at my local NHS hospital in West Bromwich. He advised i had a media plica syndrome or fat pad syndrome (not sure what he called it).

I agreed to have arthroscopy surgery to remove the plica in my left knee.

I am now 3 weeks post op (well will be 3 weeks this Wednesday) I had my stitches out last week. I went swimming yesterday fpr the 1st time i did some slow swimming and i spend some time treading water, ank kicking my legs while holding the side. I still have a little swelling not a lot. However im still getting the same pain when i put pressure through it. The ache seems to have gone when i drive though which is a bonus. I was wondering of anyone knows how long till this pain completley goes, and what exersizes are best. I have access to an exersize bike if i wish but thought i would ask first. Im back at work in Jan, my job is physical so i will need to build up my quads before i return.

I have a follow up appointment in 5 weeks to see the surgoen who removed the plica. Hopefully the pain will go and i can get back to football asap.

Thanks for reading guys :)

Mark

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Post Plica Removal Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Hi Mark,

I also live in Birmingham and had my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed in November 2009 at The Birmingham Royal Orthopaedic Hospital on the Bristol Road near Northfield. It took me 18 months to recover from my surgery, you are still at the early stages post op and will still get some pain and discomfort. If you are still having problems in a few weeks time could go back to see your OS again or see a sports physician like I did at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital.

I was unable to run pre op and post op until I saw Dr Brown a sports physician at the ROH at the sports injury clinic and had IMS Intramuscular stimulation and after just 4 sessions was able to run again. It worth seeing him 1st before going back to an OS as he will try no invasive treatments and is a really nice guy and easy to talk to.

http://www.drgrahamebrown.co.uk/

It can take some time to fully recover from knee surgery and are seeing your OS again and hopefully the pain will be less by then. Are you seeing a physio to give you advise about buiding up your quads again as it important to keep on top of your PT. I also have a physical job and had to take longer sick leave as I went back too soon and made my knee flare up.

Nick :) {2011} :) 
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming