Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee
« on: December 09, 2003, 06:07:42 PM »
hello
i need to have a knee arthroscopy done.
i am a tradesman and my job is very physical with lifting, bending, crawling, walking on uneven surfaces, digging etc....
how long do you think my recovery will be before i can go back to work and do everything 100% like i did before?

cheers

Offline vetmedgirl

• Regular Poster
  • Go POKES!
Re: Knee
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 08:05:29 PM »
depends on what they find and do during your arthroscopy. Usually your doc will tell you the predicted time but it all depends on what they do in there and how you rehab.  Can you explain further?
Rt Knee Torn ACL, medial meniscus, MCL in -Dec 97
ACL Reconstruction, medial meniscus repair-Jan 98
Partial Lateral meniscectomy, Patellar and femoral chondroplasty in both knees - August 03

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 08:22:31 PM »
 That is a question that only your os, yourself and your physical therapist if you have one can tell you. You know your body but your os will know what is going on in your knee. Ask him if he thinks you should get something to wear on your knee to aid in comforting when you kneel.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 10:35:30 AM »
i also play soccer
so as i see it , i will be able to work when i can get back to playing again.
so what is the average time before a soccer players gets back in 100%?

thanks in advance

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 07:30:42 AM »
Depending on severity , most athletes with knee problems never getback to 100% . I have been told to expect 85% recovery, but what really does that mean.
When you say you will be able to go back to work when you are able to play soccer again, does  that mean you make a living playing soccer. I would imagine you would be working before playing soccer, as your os may say light duty work, or something like that. I know you said you have a physical job, if your knee injury is work related i can tell you alot of what ins co will tell you. i would be prepared for os telling you to hold off on sports , and focus on recovery. I have had to accept looking at possibly not playing sports at the level i used to. Its hard to accept , but in time i accepted it and i have to look out for my family and myself.
I know it stinks when you have something you enjoy so much taken away from you, all of us on here do. never give up hope and stay positive.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 01:22:21 PM »
pol, many people have said it, I am going to say it again. Arthroscope is a diagnostic tool, this is the video camera, button hole surgery. There are many many procedures that can be done via scope. Until you know what the surgeon plans on doing, or does when he is inside your knee, you cannot predict what the recovery time will be. I had a scope with debridement(scar tissue clean up etc) when I was 17,  I was off school the day of the surgery and the following day...and then I walked into school the next day. Never looking back....I had a Lateral Retinacular Release 20 months ago. I was on crutches for a month, off work for 3 and then another 4 months after the summer from overdoing it on my poor knee... So as you can see recovery times vary widely with teh procedure, not the scope.
Good luck, take care...hope you get back to soccer soon
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 08:01:45 PM »
Hey !
Depends on what the os what to perform for surgery,
If it's only an arthroscopy without doing anything only checking your be back to normal very briefly.
You should call the doc for further information. Not easy to say, it really depends on many things which all are special for each of us.
Wishing you good luck.
Go call the surgeon for further info.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.