Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: fat derived pluropotent stem cells for cartilage regenaration  (Read 10989 times)

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
fat derived pluropotent stem cells for cartilage regenaration
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
Hi...does anybody know the procedure where they clean out the worn cartilage and inject fat derived pluropotent stem cells to regenerate the cartilage. My Doctor claimed that  fat derived pluropotent stem cells  are more potent than marrow stem cells and success rate of regenerating the cartilage is more that 90%.

Offline bananzaboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: fat derived pluropotent stem cells for cartilage regenaration
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
I'm far from an expert but would find that very hard to believe. I think bone marrow derived stem cells would be superior to adipose derived. As for a 90% success rate, that's a high figure for a Dr to be throwing out there. It certainly seems ambitious. What is it based on? Eg what degree of wear, extent of lesion etc? I think if it
 were this good then why would anyone be bothering with bone marrow stem cells at all?

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:52 AM »
I have grade 3 chondromalacia and the lesion is on patella....

Offline SW71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
I agree with bananzaboy, this sort of success rate is very ambitious. Of course it would be wonderful if that was the sort of success rate that your doctor is actually getting, so for your sake I hope it is true. However, I think it is very unlikely that you will get a 90% chance of functional improvement. For example, see the following link published by doctors at Regenexx.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22023622

If the threshold criteria for success was a 50% improvement, then they had a 53% success rate using cultured marrow stem cells.

It's hard to see how someone using fat derived uncultured stem cells could do much better than this unless they were using some different delivery method or they were using an additional treatment method at the same time. Personally I find it hard to believe - but to give the benefit of the doubt, it is best to ask the doctor a lot more questions and decide for yourself whether these figures are fair dinkum.

Good luck

1984 L patello-femoral recon
1985 R patello-femoral recon
2005 R TTT + LR
2006 L TTT + LR
2011 Grade IV retro patellar lateral trochlear chondral defects, currently using PRP

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »
Hi..It has been more than 3 months since I have undergone stem cell treatment for cartilage lesion on my right patella.

It's working..slowly but steadily. Now I barely notice the knee pain in my day to day activities. However, I have been very careful all through the time with my knee not putting it under any pressure.

Since stem cells takes longer time to regenerate the cartilage, I assume that  I am  on the right track to achieve the desired results.

I will keep it posted as I see any substantial change in my recovery.

Offline fastglycolytic

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
Chandra where did you have this performed, who was the Doctor and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

Bryan

Offline chandra

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:36:02 AM »
Bryan,

I had this treatment in Mumbai, India and the doctor name is Roshan wade. The total cost of the treatment including 3 days stay in the hospital was about 2L Rupees($4000).

Offline fastglycolytic

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
Hi Chandra

How long ago did you have this done? How did you decide to use this doctor (do you live in Asia)? I have similar issues as you do, I need more patellar cartilage. What directions were you given regarding your rehabilitation? How long do you have to stay off it, do you need crutches? If you like you can email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks,

Bryan

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »
There is a clinic in Germany, who does that fat derived stemm cell therapy. They claim they have treated 29 patients successfully, so that symptoms where reduced significantly or were not present any more. 1 patient was treated without success.

I contected them, in order to get more information. They told me, they only do this procedure, if TKR is alsready an option. Sounds logical, regarding current legal sitruation here in Germany.

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:32 PM »
Here's an interesting presentation on fat derived stem cells being used for arthritis patients in Panama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeiZNVsTplU

Offline Doctodd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:39 AM »
The literature states that bone arrow stem cells are more differentiated, or more mature towards making cartilage.  The study that was published is on pubmed.  From what I remember they tested both fat derived stem cells and bone marrow stem cells side by side.  After days 7, 14, 21 they stained and visualized the cells under a microscope and the bone marrow cells looked more like cartilage.  This is why Regenexx pushes bone marrow more. 

However, fat has the largest quantity of stem cells according to literature.  So if you want a same day procedure vs culturing in a foreign country and reinjecting in a few weeks, it would seem fat is the better choice.  We can just be patient and wait the extra 3 weeks for the stem cells to differentiate, or we can boost them up with PRP, HGH and other tips and tricks.  The fat has another purpose....it forms the scaffolding where the stem cells get to work, as well as provides some cushioning. 
Todd Alea MD. Physician
Homestead, Florida, USA
Board Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Board Certified Interventional Pain Medicine
Fellow of International Spine Intervention Society
Facebook: Todd Alea
[Details added by KNEEguru]

Offline Kathir

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:17 AM »
Dear Chandra,

Please update your improvements... My case is very similar to you... I would like to know how good the STEM CELLS injection is...

My report says...

Subchondral sclerosis noted in the lateral facet of patella and medial tibial plateau.

Grade 1 chondromalacia noted in the lateral facet of patella foci of T2 hyper intensity within the articular cartilage.

Grade 2 chondromalacia noted in the medial facet of patella fissuring noted which involved less than 50% thickness of articular cartilage.

Please advise me...

Offline PuneKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 02:34:42 PM »
Hi Chandra,

If possible, please update us about the condition of your knee. If has been quite sometime. I have chondromalacia too and live in Pune.