Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Three days ago I stepped out of a helicopter . . .  (Read 624 times)

Offline Ihopeitsminor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Three days ago I stepped out of a helicopter . . .
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »
Hi all,

Three days ago I stepped out of a helicopter with about 50 lbs. of gear on.  The distance from the door to the ground was appx. one meter. Experienced minor pain in right knee at the time but nothing significant. Two days ago I woke up and was unable to bend my knee backwards past appx. 45 degrees.  The pain seems to be getting worse and my range of motion is decreasing.  I also experience pain when I move my knee from side to side and when negotiating stairs.  The pain is significant especially when putting on socks or stepping into pants.  There is no obvious swelling or bruising and I have no trouble putting "vertical" weight on the knee.

I will be back in the States in a few days for a couple of weeks and I am trying to determine if an orthopedic appointment is necessary.

Has anyone else experienced a similar injury?  How long should I wait and see if it will resolve on its own before seeking medical attention. (btw: I do not have access to anything other than basic combat care at this point.)

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Three days ago I stepped out of a helicopter . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
I would get an appointment to see an Orthopaedic Surgeon, could be your meniscus or a ligament.  I've just had a reconstruction on my ACL and PLC, if you cant bend your knee then something is stopping you.  I have a friend who was just standing at work and suddenly his leg went and he had tore his ACL.  Sometimes these injuries can be that simple, he walked on it for a few days before he knew something was wrong.  You could have quite easily twisted your knee whilst stepping down.  Good Luck Jo