Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st day after TPF hardware removal, & knee scope.  (Read 794 times)

Offline dmontesanti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
1st day after TPF hardware removal, & knee scope.
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
Hi all,

Yesterday I had a plate, and 13 screws removed from my original TPF surgery four years ago. They also scoped my knee and repaired some torn meniscus.  I have alot of pain, swelling, & numbness. Went home after surgery and did not sleep well at all. Bandages stay on for 5-7 days, so not sure how long the incisions are. I had asked for a CPM machine to keep my knee moving as I almost had to have manipulation done four years ago, and do not want to go though all the stuck joint stuff again. Has anyone used one of these before, and did it help? From what I have read about them they atleast help with the mental part of moving the knee and feeling like you are doing something to help. I am 39a years old and have three boys to try to keep up with so I need this to work out good for me. You would think that with all the knee injures out there they would have knee replacement that lasts longer for younger people that need relief now for the long haul. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks guys,

D.M.
07- T.P.F racing motocross
07- 2 weeks with external fixation
07- 6 hour surgery to reconstruct knee, donor bone, massive meniscus repair, plate on inside of knee, and 13 +/- screws.
2011- supartz injections failed.
12-5-11 hardware removal, knee scope.

Offline KiwiRach

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 1st day after TPF hardware removal, & knee scope.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:15:52 AM »
Hi - well this post is quite old but I thought I'd try.

I had my hardware removed 6 days ago, although I can walk around the house mostly it's just to change the ice pack. My knee has pretty extensive bruising and is still very swollen.

Everyone else I see who has hardware removal seems to think it's a walk in the park- and are throwing away the crutches after a day or two.
At this rate it will be 7-10 days for me. I'm improving just slow...

Unfortunately my surgeon had flown to the UK on holidays - any advice if this sounds normal?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sept 13 Pedestrian hit by car in Sydney
Sept 13 Broken tib/fib with rod, TPF with bone putty plate and 9 nails/screws
Sept - Dec 13 12 weeks NWB
Jan 14 Back to work with crutches then cane
Jun 15 After on going pain, scope and hardware removal. Clean of bone spurs and meniscus.