Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can a brace alleviate bone on bone pain?  (Read 542 times)

Offline gmartin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can a brace alleviate bone on bone pain?
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
I've had 5 ops on my left knee following an initial dislocation in 1993. In 2002/3 I had a tibial tubercle transfer and a semitendonosus transfer which have kept me going OK until recently. I play golf and in the last few months the pain on completion of a golf swing has got worse and worse until last week when i was unable to finish my game. The pain is very acute and I think is bone on bone. I get no pain whatsover during a normal day at the office, or walking, or jogging/rowing at the gym - only when i twist on my left leg at the end of the golf swing.
Is there any brace or support which is likely to alleviate this pain whilst playing golf? Or is back to the surgeon?!

I already have a couple of braces (one is a Pro Line hinged brace with open patella) but they seem to put too much compression on the patella which of course increases the bone on bone pain.

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Offline dmontesanti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Can a brace alleviate bone on bone pain?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
Hi, I have a tin plateau fracture and I don't know if a brace would help the twisting pain from a golf swing...jogging is probably not helping as it is very hard on the knee joint. I use a elliptical trainer to simulate running. Maybe some specific knee exercises to strengthen that part of your knee would help.

Good luck.

D.M.
07- T.P.F racing motocross
07- 2 weeks with external fixation
07- 6 hour surgery to reconstruct knee, donor bone, massive meniscus repair, plate on inside of knee, and 13 +/- screws.
2011- supartz injections failed.
12-5-11 hardware removal, knee scope.

support