Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Acl, Pcl, Plc, Lcl ruptures  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Kev1985

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Acl, Pcl, Plc, Lcl ruptures
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »
Hi all,
Posting on here for the first time, been reading for a while and I am just looking for some info.
22nd oct I injured my right knee in an innocent enough challenge, straight away I know something was bad and after an MRI I was told I had ruptured acl, pcl, lcl, plc and IT band. After two weeks in hospital I was sent home with a custom fitted brace until the swelling subsided. After returning to the surgeon he has decided to operate on the 16th December. I will be using 5 grafts from a dead person but that is all I understand about the operation. I have read up on acl and pcl reconstructions but I have no idea what a plc is and how it is fixed in surgery. I was just wondering if anybody has had a similar injury could you just fill me in on what the surgery involves and how long recovery time is. I play semi pro as my main career and have been told I won't football again.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.
22/10/2011 - rptured ACL, PCL, LCL, PLC
16/12/2011-  ACL, PLC, LCL reconstruction
21/12/2012-  ACL, PCL, LCL, PLC reconstruction

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Acl, Pcl, Plc, Lcl ruptures
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
Hello,

I had my ACL, PLC (includes LCL) reconstruction completed on the 16th November along with meniscus surgery.  The PLC is the Posterolateral Corner.  

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1068

This should help with information.  

My surgery involved taking my Hamstring (6 strands total) and used them to form my ACL.  I have a a LARS Y artificial ligament for my LCL.  I had a nerve block which I am sure they will give you, this helps a lot when you wake up from surgery, I didn't feel any pain at all which was brilliant.  I had my nerve block at 8.50am then was put to sleep and after 6 hours of surgery woke up pretty cold, I was shaking and had to have the warm blanket put on me for 10 minutes.  At midnight I started feeling my leg again, it didn't fully wear off until late the next day.  For the amount of surgery you will be having I wouldn't rush going home, I felt a lot better in there told them I wasn't feeling as much pain as I was, went home and passed out in the car on the way, I was ok it was just the stress on my body.  It can be very difficult at home, one thing I must say is you want the toilet on the same floor as you, stairs will be difficult, mainly scary.  My surgeon told me that I cant weight bear for 6 weeks, I said what happens if I fall, he basically said don't.  This is why 2 weeks later I still have not attempted stairs.

I found after surgery I was getting a lot of pain in the shin, when the blood is rushing down the leg when you put it down; this took 7 days of extreme pain, now I can feel it hurting but not too bad.  I also get shooting pains which feels like im being electrocuted in my knee, again this is the nerves fixing.  I do not wear my brace when at home, I find it more comfortable with pillows beneath me instead, my surgeon said this was ok at home.  You will have to ask yours as I didn't have the PCL done.

I'm not going to lie to you, it will be painful, difficult and stressful.  You will be stuck at home and after about a 8/9 days of being indoors you will want to go out.  I find getting into the car, I sit on the seat with my leg out, pull myself onto the drivers seat and lift my self up whilst lifting my leg to twist my hip and im in.  Found this is the best way.

At home the best thing is to have a high bed and I have a bath stool to sit on whilst washing, I cant have a shower of bath but a flannel wash keeps you as clean as you need to be for now.  I cant wait until I can have a shower!

If you would like any more information let me know.  I have pics of my staples and the swelling etc I can send or put on here.  Let me know how it goes.

I would also say I know people who have had their PCL done and can still play football, same as ACL but together I don't know.  It will be very much up to you and your physio by the sounds of it.  It would prob help to get something to put on your knee when playing, otherwise subconsciously you will feel vulnerable.

Jo

Offline Kev1985

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
Thanks joe that was realy good to read. I experienced realy bad pain in the shin whilst in hospital after the injury, it is a terrible pain and i certainly wont be looking forward to that after the operation!
The surgeon hasnt mentioned the nerve block but i will definately be asking for one after reading this! I have pretty much conceded that i wont play again although i am just going to take it one step at a time after surgery! And see where that takes me! How long did u stay in hospital for joe? The surgeon mentioned some pretty serious things that could go wrong! Is this the norm?
I would really like to see a photo of your war wounds please, i am the type of person who likes to know what is coming!

Thanks again for your reply and i hope to hear from you soon!
22/10/2011 - rptured ACL, PCL, LCL, PLC
16/12/2011-  ACL, PLC, LCL reconstruction
21/12/2012-  ACL, PCL, LCL, PLC reconstruction

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 01:21:52 AM »
I wasn't told of the nerve block until the anaesthetist came in. 

I've attached the first photos we took.  We also looked at the photos of the op, eg bones, meniscus, ligaments etc, very interesting.

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:40:48 AM »
These next ones are from Thursday when I had my staples out, 62 to be exact.

I was only in hospital one night, but then again I had surgery at 9am on the 16th and left about 7pm the following day.  I did lie and say the pain wasn't as bad as it was, I wanted to be at home.

I found with the shin pain, keep icing it, I didn't do that much but was told it helps.  Also when getting up do it steadily at first so when the blood goes down it doesn't rush as much, if someone holds it and lowers it when you are ready and slowly, I also found when the leg is being lifted if they raise it higher than you it strains and hurts too so they have to be careful to work with you.

I also had a really tight calf on the inside which was hurting, it still is now but not as bad.  I found with that again ice and also the handheld vibrating massager's (advise one of these) also doing small exercises where you raise your toes as you are pulling on something and push your toes down as you are pushing on something, also holding it sometimes, this keeps the calf moving so the muscle doesn't get tight.  I couldn't put my foot flat on the floor due to the muscle tightening so did this and it helped loads.

I was told about infections, DVT, graft failure etc etc.  They have to mention the risks, my surgeon was very good and as you can see the staples and around the wounds are very clean.  You have to make sure you keep the blood flow and wear the ted stockings for the DVT, I wasn't allowed to wear the ted stocking on my operated leg until after the staples were out so kept trying to do small movements all the time.  As I mentioned before with the foot exercises. 

Again with regards to sport, I will be riding again as soon as I can, I will make it as safe as I can at the beginning and get a very good back protector and make sure I fall on that next time but if you love a sport nothing will stop you.  I have my first physio session on monday morning and I know they are going to hurt me but I also now the more pain I go through now the easier it will be for me.

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »
Sorry last one, didn't realise how big the pics would be.

Also added one of the culprit looking innocent.

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »
Hi

I had a PLC (LCL, PCL and PLCorner) rebuild 2 days ago ; the pain is pretty intense (mainly in calf as the surgeon drilled a tunnel through the top of the fib to put the LARS ligament through.  It'd be worth you finding out which method your surgeon does ; mine is LARS though some do grafts - my guy is a LARS expert though and said that the artificial is a lot stonger and less liable to fail than a graft.  The main wound is about 20 cm down outside of knee, with 3 scope wounds too.  Had a drain in for 24 hrs and bled a lot but settled now.

Pain relief is a big thing to get right ; my surgeon said it's the most painful knee surgery you can have and on the basis of the last 48 hrs i'd agree - so ensure you talk preop about morphine etc ; unfortunately I had to go through the levels of things not working before they started morphine about 18 hrs post op and I think it was avoidable if i'd been a bit more assertive about it earlier.

Good luck!
2/12/11 - Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction (LARS open surgery)

support