Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Strange knee symptoms...  (Read 965 times)

Offline runbare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Strange knee symptoms...
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:37 AM »
Firstly, hello to everyone, stumbled upon this site accidentally, so incredibly great that this place exists!

So here are my symptoms, strange to me at least. I injured my knees hill running 6 years ago, and they have never completely recovered. These days, I have heat in my knees at night regularly, no pain, clicking on the exterior side of the knee beside the kneecap (like a ligament flicking or something), and tightness around the patella tendon, also occasionally have tightness in the ITB. Pain generally only occurs for breif moment at the beginning of a run, before things start to heat up and the pain goes, however, after running for more than 20km or so, I start to notice a sort of tightness. Post run symptoms dont develop until at least two days later when things get a little glassy feeling, occasionally (but not always) pain under the kneecap, heat in the knee is a little more intense than usual...

I guess I want to know if I am slowly destroying my knees by continuing to run, I really dont want to give up running, I love it so much. Things used to be a lot worse until I went through one course of prolotherapy (couldnt get regular courses as it is too far from where I live). Barefoot running appears to have helped stop the past severe ITB tightness, and the softer style seems to limit damage compared to when I was shoe running.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:36:49 AM by runbare »

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Strange knee symptoms...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

you may want to get some x-rays done, possibly an MRI

its not clear on what happened during the hill running?   what were the symptoms?  does your knee feel unstable at all?

Possibly try phsyiotherapy ... if you haven't already , internet search for 'runners knee' or 'jumpers knee'

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
Hi There,

I am also a very keen runner and also know that it is not great for the knees running on a hard surface all the time as it slowly wears the knees out and will end up with a TKR when you are older. I was unable to run for 3 and a half years which is a very long period if you enjoy running. I had a scope on my right knee back in November 2009 and do feel pain at the bottom of my right knee after running near the portals which is where the OS cuts through the skin during surgery. I also love running too much to give it up due to wearing out the knees and will worry about it when it happens.

yb has given some good advise it would be a good idea to get an x-ray done that will pick up if the knee is wearing out and have maltraking problems. An MRI will pick up any damage inside the knee such as ligament damage or a torn meniscus or any other knee problems that an x-ray would not pick up on.

Nick  :) {2011} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline runbare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
Cheers for that guys. I have been considering getting some sort of scan done to look for wear, I think its definitely a good idea.