Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MFC allograft & reconstruction of MCL finally had surgery  (Read 13546 times)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MFC allograft & reconstruction of MCL finally had surgery
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 02:59:00 AM »
WEEK 16

Ooops. I missed a week. There wasn't much to report anyway. Still trucking along with physical therapy. They have added two pound weights to my leg for some of the activities but not many. I am still using two crutches in public but around the house I try to use only one. I think I am nervous to stop using them since I still get that darn joint line pain. Is this normal? For those of you who read this and have had the surgery is that normal?

One thing that worries me a little is that my tibia is still painful to the touch where they put the screw in on the MCL reconstruction. It's not as worrisome as the joint line pain but worrisome none the less.

I popped my shoulder out partway again last week. This last time has been the worst. I am wearing a brace to help give it some stability until I can have surgery.

I see the dr in two weeks. I hope I am off the crutches by then.

Thats the update for know. As always feel free to contact me with any questions. I am always share.

Jenni
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15:36 PM »
WEEK 18

Well the updates are spreading out as there is not much change happening these days.  I have been able to add light weight (2-3 lbs) on some of my activities at PT. That makes me happy. I am also down to one crutch. I tried using my cane but I can't do stairs yet with it so just sticking to the crutch for now. I see my OS on Wed and I am going to ask him for a bone scan. I honestly believe that the surgery did not take. I hope I am wrong. I still have joint line pain with every step I take. The more weight I put on it the worse the pain. The same pain I have always had. Here's to hoping it's just still healing.

The shoulder has stabilized a bit with the brace. I am hoping to have the shoulder repaired in the next month or two. I think even if I am still using one crutch I could do that with the shoulder surgery. Hopefully I will be using the cane soon though.

I am still very concerned about the pain under the knee cap. Has anyone had that after this surgery and if so what caused it?

I also would like answers for why my tibia is hurting so much. I can only assume it is from the screw. Who knows.

I will update after I visit my OS.

As always feel free to ask any questions. I would love to help   

Jenni  ;D
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
So I saw my OS today. He was pleased that I am still making progress but doesn't like that it is so slow. There is still a lot of inflammation within the joint. He is going to give it another month and if still inflamed he will inject knee with something.

He says x-rays show everything looks good. We will see in a few more months.

He won't fix my shoulder until I am no longer using a crutch. I am only using one but he wants the knee to be healed enough to not need it before working on my shoulder. I am bummed but I get it.

I should feel encouraged but I don't. I just want to be better now!

Jenni :P
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
WEEK 20

Major setback alert!!!!!   :'( So Easter weekend I was using one crutch walking around the grocery store and my knee popped. That caused intense pain and forced my hubby to carry me to the truck. My knee swelled up like a ballon.

So now I am back to using two crutches sitting on the coach and icing. I am sick to death of this. I can not believe that this is happening again. I am praying that it was no big deal and that the swelling and such will go down soon.

Because I am back on two crutches my shoulder is killing me. I need this mess to be over. My SGT at work is getting impatient I can tell. He was asking me if I have any idea when I will be back.

Someone tell me that this will get better some day. Please!!!!

As alway feel free to contact me at any time.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:16 AM »
Well the train keeps picking up speed as it roles backwards down the hill. My OS just told me to stop all PT until I see him next week. Continue no weight and sitting on my butt with ice on knee. As little activity as possible for another week. This just keeps getting worse.

It's always darkest before the dawn right. Isn't that how the saying goes lol. Trying to keep a positive outlook but it's getting more difficult with each setback.

I will post after I see my OS

Has anyone had experience with injections. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
5 MONTHS :P

I saw OS last week and had an MRI on Friday. I will find out the results on Wed. SInce my swelling has gone down the OS gave me permission to start trying to get off crutches again. I just have to be sure to ice and elevate when I'm not up. I have worked back to just using one crutch. I would like to be off the other ASAP. The problem with that is that it keeps catching and giving away and I don't want to fall on my face lol.

I am starting to drive again so I am thinking I may try going to the club to ride the bike. I just hate going and seeing people from work though because they judge me and don't get that I am doing PT things and that is it.

I want to take my dogs for a walk. We finally get some sun  8) and I want to go out and enjoy it. Does anyone else share the frustration of being unable to perform the little tasks that make life fun like walks.

I will update with MRI results on Wed.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
Well the MRI looked good apparently. ???  I am torn between being happy that it looks good and upset because I wanted it to show a reason for my pain. A little background, prior to any surgery I had two different MRI's that showed no damage in my knee and when the OS finally went in to see what was going on he found a mess that the MRI didn't show.  He believes that the pain could be coming from the bone grafts fusing. If there is still pain in three weeks when I go back we will talk about injections.

I really am happy for the positive results but at the same time I do not trust them. I guess I will just keep on doing what I am doing. He did tell me I could stop wearing my brace. He said that the MCL was strong so that was good news. I will try to stop using the one crutch this week. Hoping all that will help strengthen the leg again.

That's all for now. As always, feel free to ask me questions.  ;D

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

support