Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MFC allograft & reconstruction of MCL finally had surgery  (Read 13498 times)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MFC allograft & reconstruction of MCL finally had surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 06:41:26 AM »
I love that there are people to talk and share and vent that get it. I love my family but they don't get it. I try not to even bring it up with friends, though I have some who are supportive too.

I know exactly what you are talking about regarding pain meds. I think I am in more pain than I should be because I try not to take the pain meds. I hate how they make me feel. I tried vicoden the other day and it just made me so sick. I had to go back to the oxycodone.

I had a pretty good week for the most part last week but then I had a user malfunction with my crutches lol  :-\ and I stepped on my leg twice yesterday. So now I am dealing with some sharp pains in the joint line. It makes me a little nervous. I am hoping it is just healing pains. I think I just made that up to make myself feel better when I get pains.  ???

If this doesn't work than it goes to PKR or TKR. I need to avoid that for as long as possible as I am in law enforcement and will lose my job as I will no longer be able to meet the job requirements due to the restrictions. Fingers crossed that this works.

DM-when do you think he will do the TKR. Is he trying to hold off as long as possible because you are only 40?  What else are you trying besides pain meds(tens unit, physical therapy etc).

Love talking to you all. Helps lifts my spirits that I'm not alone. Sometimes I get so angry and feel like no one else can understand my frustration. It helps to have others.  ;D

Jenni
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 03:18:20 AM »
I really need to here from both of you.  I am trying to be more public since I am walking without the crutches.  I still have the big brace.  I lost it emotionally last night after a couple of bad therapy sessions.  I have tendinitis in the leg which is causing more pain.  I almost think my therapist thinks I am a big baby and can't take the pain.  I just sat in bed and cried.  Tonight I went to a school meeting with many other moms at the school.  I feel people do not even want to talk with me because they think I will only talk about the leg.  I feel they almost avoided me.  It was really hard.  This can all be in my own head, I really do not know.  They make comments how good I am walking but it is really hard.  Pain really gets me down. 

You all help lift my spirits.

Karen

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 02:29:37 AM »
Jenni,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.  It really meant a lot to me.  It really really helped.  I am feeling better.  I should be encouraging you.  I hope you are feeling better.

Karen

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 07:06:01 AM »
Karen-I am glad my message helped ;D

Well I went to the OS Wed and he is happy with where I am at. I suppose if he is happy than I should be happy. The problem is however, that I want to be recovered by yesterday not months from now lol. Hmm maybe I need to exercise some patience. The pain levels are staying around a 6-7 with no meds and 2-4 on meds. Or if I use the TENS unit the pain levels stay lower.

I have run into an issue with my workers comp claim in that they will not let me keep the TENS unit. They approved it but then denied it. This sucks because with it I only take pain pills 1-2 times a day. Without it I need them 4-6 times a day.   Both my Dr and my attorney have tried to get it paid for but they have not had any luck. The adjuster isn't budging. So needless to say I am pretty bummed about this. I hate taking any type of medication and now I will have to take more when I have been trying to ween off of it. Stupid adjuster.

On the plus side, I am now starting to put some weight on my leg and the brace is no longer locked. I have to remember these baby steps are moving in the right direction even if it is slower than I would like. The down side to this is that it is causing more pain to put weight on it. I feel like it's two steps forward one step back or maybe five steps back.

Sunday I will be 8 weeks post op. Here's to hoping that my next apt with my OS will mean getting rid of the crutches. Fingers and toes are crossed.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
Jenni,

Glad to hear the doctor is happy.  I always feel the same way when I go.  He is happy but I wish I was.  Don't you love work comp.  I still do not know who is going to cover my shoulder.  I go to the doctor next week.  I hope I can maybe start to work in another month to 6 weeks.  How you are feeling how I was at 8 weeks.  It will be better.

Karen

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 04:17:18 AM »
WEEK 9

Am I really only in week nine of recovery?  Man it feels like months. I am sooo over using my crutches. I hate them. I have fallen twice in the last week and a half. Thank goodness for the brace or I think I would have done some damage. Let's see what else?  Oh yeah, I have been having this burning sensation on the top of my foot. It starts at my knee on the outside and travels down the leg and across the top of my foot.  It makes putting additional pressure on my foot more difficult than it already is. After doing research on this and talking with my physical therapist I have discovered that they either damaged the perennial nerve during surgery or it has become compressed due to scar tissue. WOW, if something bad can happen to me it will. I have had every issue possible it seems since hurting myself 27 months ago. If it doesn't heal on is own that will be an additional surgery. This is getting rediculous. All this just to get some semblance of a life back and to be able to go back to my career.

On another note, I am continuing to walk with about 15-20% weight on my leg and I am still going to PT 2 x's a week. That is still very slow progress as well. They do not want to push me too much still due to the previous failed surgeries though I am chomping at the bit to get well.

I am also dealing with pain med issues. I want to stop them so I will go a day without taking any and end up in so much pain I give in and take them. Ten I do the same thing. I hate taking them and don't want to so I end up putting myself in more pain by not staying on top of it. I also then deal with withdrawal symptoms each time I stop taking the meds. It's a viscous cycle. I just wish my body could handle the lesser meds.

Today is one of those days I feel as if I will never be whole again.   :'(  I know there are many of you out there that feel just like me. Thank goodness were here for each other.
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  How do I send personal messages?  You do not know how much our posts mean to me.  I went to the surgeon today.  They finally approved through work comp to look at my shoulder.  He does not think it is a rotator cuff but a pinched nerve.  He gave me a cortisone shot in the shoulder.  I should feel better by Friday.  I really hope so.  I need some good news.  He is concerned with my knee. I am being scheduled for another MRI to see what is going on.  I am still having a lot of pain in the graft site.  I hope everything is ok.  I really do not think I can handle another surgery.  We will see.  I really do not feel much better before this last surgery.  I can bend and straighten, it is just the pain.  I told him I just want to be done.  I would love to talk to you on the phone, fb, or email.  Let me know.  You really have gotten me through all of this.

Karen

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
WEEK 10

Not a whole lot to update in the recovery this week. I continue to try to add more weight to my right leg when walking, however, as I do it seems I am getting joint line pain again. This scares me to death. I cannot have another failed surgery.  I am also not seeing any improvement with the perennial nerve issues. I see my OS in 2 1/2 more weeks. He is hoping the nerves are just firing up again giving me issues. I hope so but the fact that it isn't getting any better after a few weeks already doesn't have me holding my breath.

I want to start driving again. I need to get off the crutches and out of my house. Being on the crutches is making my slap tear in my shoulder worse.

Oh the joys of crappy knees.

On the bright side my ROM is now at 0-112. Not to shabby. Doc wants me to 120 by the time I see him again.

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions. [email protected]   ;D
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline KSTL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »
I hope your shoulder feels better.  Do not worry yet about your knee.  I totally understand why you would be scared to death.  I see my doc in about the same time as you.  I really do not know what he is going to say.  I received my MRI results today.  I think I have mixed review.  The graft is good but I have some other problems.  I do not know what will be done.  I will give an update later.

Karen

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »
Week 11

Two steps forward one step back, or maybe it's ten back. I can't seem to tell yet. I talked with my OS about the joint line pain and he said exactly what I expected (which is why I put off calling him). I am supposed to back off the weight on my leg.  He thinks I may be pushing too hard. I am not sure how trying to get to 50% weight bearing is pushing it as I am at 11 weeks post op but whatever. Still feeling discouraged like this surgery may have failed as well. I know it's too early. Won't even be three month out until the end of the month. I think that's what nearly two and a half years of this mess does to your head. You begin to think you will never be better.  :-\

I am going to attempt to drive with my left foot this week. Just short trips to my gym. It's all back roads and only two minutes away so hopefully it all works out. I need to get the endorphins flowing to get my head right lol. Not thrilled about riding the bike but it's something. Way better than nothing!!  Besides, I am thinking of getting into compettative biking when I get better. Since I am no longer going to be able to run it will give me something to train for.

I am still dealing with burning sensation down the outer part of my leg and across the top of my foot to the big toe and the second toe. I am also having the feeling that I am stepping on a marble when I put weight on my bad leg. PT thinks it's due to the perennial nerve issues as well. Great, just keep adding new issues to deal with as if the knee alone  isn't enough hahaha.

The shoulder continues to give me issues and will more than likely get worse until I am off the crutches. I am not worried about it though since I know I will have surgery as soon as the knee is as good as it's going to get and  we know there will be no more procedures in the near future.  :D What a happy day that will be!!!!!

One issue that I am having that scares me is that when I stand for short periods of time my knee turns purple and swells. If anyone has experienced that, HELP. It's freaking me out. OS thinks the lymph nodes are not draining when I stand but isn't sure. One time it was so dark it almost looked black.

I guess that's it for this week. As always feel free to ask questions or just vent to me. I know it has certainly helped me to have a person or people on here who get it.  [email protected]

Hope the green isn't annoying.  I needed a change of pace lol.

Jenni ;D
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
I made it to the gym today for the first time ;D ;D. I was so happy. I drove with my left foot. It's only a couple miles and all back roads. I rode the bike for 25 min with no resistance and did some very light upper body lifting with the machines. I can't believe how exhausted I am lol. All this sitting around has made me out of shape hahahaha. I am feeling some pain in the knee but not joint line pain so that's good. The entire leg is achey but I expected that as 25 minutes on the bike is the most activity it's had in 2 1/2 months. I did split up the time though. I rode for 15 minutes. Then I lifted and went back to the bike for another 10. We will see how I feel tomorrow.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
WEEK 12

Is it really week 12 and I am still on crutches?  This is so frustrating!  I need to get away someplace warm and sunny and rejuvenate lol. I see the OS tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.

I have gone to the gym a few times in the last week to ride the recumbent bike. I have also done some very light upper body weight lifting with the machines. It has been good for my mind to get to the gym. Today was tough as someone from work was at the gym. They wouldn't even speak to me and looked at me with disgust. I know the look, the "why are you here if you can't come to work" look. What they don't get is that I am at the gym for an hour at most, and go home to take pain meds, elevate the leg and ice for the remainder of the day. I don't have a desk job, I'm in law enforcement. I beg the dr to let me go back each time I see him but if he says no its out of my hands. The judgement of others is very frustrating.

I was a little discouraged yesterday at PT. When she measured my ROM it had decreased 2 degrees. I know that isn't a biggie but I was hoping for a gain to 120. Instead I was at 110. I have been working so hard on that so I was bummed.

I will make a note tomorrow on how the OS says things are. I would like to get off the crutches and out of the brace. We will see.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
So I went to see my OS today. As I said last month, he was happy so I guess I should be. The problem with that is that I want to be better right now!  He will be monitoring the pain I am having under my knee cap a little more closely. A this point he thinks it is from scar tissue and swelling. He believes that the issues I am having with the peroneal nerve will heal on their own. I am supposed to continue to stimulate the nerves by rubbing something prickly on the leg. The joint line pain he says is just from the leg not being ready for the extra weight bearing so just keep backing off when I hit that point. So that means stay on the crutches  :'(.

He does want me out of my huge locking brace and has given me a prescription for a custom brace. I can't wait to say goodbye to this beast and get something new and lightweight.  ;D

He is also having me start on PT for my shoulder again as it has gotten so bad being on the crutches.

I am still out of work. My Sgt.s were not real pleased with this but it is out of my hands. I go back in five weeks so we will see if I can get back to work in April.

He also mentioned that he will be doing an MRI to check progress in a couple of months.

So no bad news just wish it was great news lol.

As always feel free to contact me. [email protected]

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 04:04:48 AM »
WEEK 13

Not much change this week. I swear the recovery from allograft surgery on the femoral condyles of the knees is like watching grass grow. I am adding more weight to my knee when getting around but then have to back off to no weight. This is the regular routine every day. The more I stand during the day the worse my leg feels. If I am up for more than ten minutes it still turns purple.  I would really like that to go away. I can fell a change happen in my leg as soon as it starts turning color. Not sure why I feel it but it's a strange feeling.

I still have issues with the peroneal nerve but it may be slightly better. I am not sure because it is so slight I am not sure if it's in my head lol ???

I am still waiting for my new knee brace to come in. They said it should be here by this week. I am so excited to get out of this huge weight on my leg. You would think post op braces would be lighter.

I am continuing PT on my leg and have also started PT on my shoulder. I want them to add weight to my leg exercises but nope not yet. They say I am getting close though so that's good. Still only ROM exercises for now.

I spent all day Saturday out running errands with the family and by the end of the day the knee was swollen massively. I need to limit my activity still obviously.

That's it for this week.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 01:02:18 AM »
WEEK 14

Well I've hit week 14 in recovery and I am still on these stupid crutches. I am pushing myself to get off of them in the next week or so. I am so sick of them. Besides that, because of my SLAP tear in my shoulder I am having a hard time with them. While on vacation last week my shoulder popped out partially twice making using crutches nearly impossible.

On a positive note, I received my new knee brace this week. I am so excited. It is way smaller and because it was custom made I got to pick the color. Of course I chose pink lol. I don't think I have ever seen anyone with a pink knee brace and I love that it's unique  ;D.

I have not been to PT since last Monday because we went out of town and then this week I have caught another cold. Hoping to be feeling better so that I can get to PT on friday.

I don't go back to OS for 4 more weeks so I am hoping for some serious improvement between now and then.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

support