Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: patella fracture, having screws removed  (Read 11090 times)

Offline kft2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella fracture, having screws removed
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
i am 20 years old. when i was 17, i tripped over a sidewalk jogging to my car after a road race and cracked my right patella in half. i did no ligament damage or anything. i went to tennessee orthopaedics and the doctor put screws (2) in my kneecap to hold it together (i wanted to make it back for cross country season, i won state my junior year) and our team had a good shot at state my senior year. after having the screws put in, my doctor didnt send me to physical therapy after i asked him if i needed it several times.

i still have atrophy, and pain.

over this past summer, it has been bothering me. i went to duke and im having both screws removed next tuesday (dec 6). im an athlete and i have a pretty high pain tolerence. i am a college runner and i was just curious at what the recovery time would be? how long will it be before i can jog and how much physical therapy should i do? someone plz relpy:)

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: patella fracture, having screws removed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
Wish I would have seen this sooner. How did it go? I had my screws & wire removed from my left patella almost 6 weeks ago. Still not 100% but it's better. There was a constant pinching feeling from the screws into my tendon that is gone. I had them in for 9 years! I am still sore though..... How long did your recovery take? Are you feeling back to normal?

Offline Aeris1189

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: patella fracture, having screws removed
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »
Oh, that sounds very painful and I'm so sorry you're going through so much.  Having screws put in, I agree with you, they should have put you in some sort of physical therapy to try and easy your knee back into normal movement.  I'm very surprised they didn't honestly.

If he's going to have the screws removed now however, has he told you what else he's going to do or does he just expect your knee to heal properly without them?  Has he spoken to you about knee replacement surgery at all?  I know it's just a break in the Patella but if split the entire bone the whole way, that can be a very difficult recovery and it's hard for those types of bones to heal properly when broken like you described.

I would speak with your doctor again about the pain and see what he plans on doing about it, especially if he's trying to avoid the physical therapy.  If he doesn't give you a satisfying answer, I would look to consult a different doctor all together.  I found some information about knee implants that you might want to discuss with your doctor.  It's information for both a total knee replacement surgery and just a partial knee replacement.  Basically the implants themselves, the manufactures of the implants and what all goes into the surgery itself.  It even discusses some of the top implants that are used and why they're the better choice.  I hope you don't need to go this route but it's something to think about.

I wish you all the best!!

http://www.healthline.com/health/total-knee-replacement-surgery/implant-manufacturers