Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 'Devils Claw' what do you think!  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
'Devils Claw' what do you think!
« on: December 06, 2003, 05:05:37 PM »
Just want to know what other Knee Talk Members think about ‘Devils Claw’ as recent research indicates that it may help maintain healthy joints, ligaments and tendons as well as pain releaf.

Devil Claw originated from Southern Africa discovered by South African Tribes when they stumbled across a trumpet shaped flower that had a claw like fruit attached to it.

What do you think of the products benefits compared to Glucosamiine, Chondroitin, SAM-E and MSM, mentioned recently in a posting.

I only found out about it from the following website that based in the UK.

www.healthspan.co.uk

www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?id=DEVC

I found the layout and details on their products excellent and recommend them highly.

Thanks for reading, Nick.:)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline peglegs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: 'Devils Claw' what do you think!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 12:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I am definitely going to give it a try.  I have tried just about everything else.  MSM is ok and especially like this stuff:

www.goplayinc.com

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I tore my first ACL in my right knee when I was 10 years old, completely destroyed my left knee when I was 25 and at 30 actually dislocated both knees at the same time.  I walked with both of my knees locked for about 6 months and didn't walk normal for almost a year.  Keep in mind I had on two professional carbon fiber titanium knee braces when this accident happened.  I don't know how I can even walk.  But, I can't run, play sports, nothing.  Too much walking and standing makes both of my knees swell up like water balloons.  Turning directions while walking has to be done consciously in fear either knee will slip out of socket.  And, I'm scared as hell to have surgery.  Plus the time never seems right to get the surgery done.

This stuff has subsided a lot of the pain and I believe it has made my knees somewhat more tolerable.  For instance, I used to not be able to stand up from a crouched position without grabbing on to something to pull myself up.  Now, I can, as well as walk further, stand for longer periods and have just started to jog a bit.  I can't imagine it would ever repair the ligaments, but it definitely seems to help.

I stumbled onto this forum on accident so I'll try and get back to you on the devils claw.  Best of luck.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 12:38:58 AM »
Hello peglegs,

Sorry that you are having trouble with both your knees at such a young, and glad you getting some releaf from taking the supplements shown on link you have given.

I been taking Devils Claw and Glucosamine Chondroitin for serveral months and cannot say if they help or not. I think they do ease stiffness and ache in knees to a certain extent, so suppose does help but cannot form miracles.

Glad you found some releaf for your chronic knee pain, best of luck to you as well, Nick  :){2004}:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »
Hey Nick,

I've just been recommended by my physio to try Devil's Claw, let me know if you think its of any benefit, I've taken the glucosamine but nothing improved with that so might give the old devil a try!  

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

brattkids2

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 04:09:24 PM »
I would love to try something new.

I cannot take MSM or glucosimine as I have a sulfa allergy. Both of these give me hives and my tongue swells up.

Does anyone have any info on other products that I could try. I will definatly try the devil's claw but are there others out there too??

Thanks
Paulette

Offline lodger

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 12:44:58 AM »
I've not had any relief from Devil's Claw. In fact, for me, it is the only supplement which hasn't reduced the pain. I am taking these:

MSM 500mg x 3
glucosamine 1000mg x 3
fish oil 1000mg x 3
devil's claw 500mg x 3
collagen 1500mg at bedtime

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:46:18 PM »
I havnt tried devils claw but we gave it to out horse who had very bad arthritic joints and it really helped, i didnt realise they did people size doses
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!