Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty  (Read 19861 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: Post-Op: Microfracture/Chondroplasty
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2004, 11:22:34 PM »

hi Miss, sorry, mine two micros were to the medial femoral chondyle, but I do just barely fall into the age catagory. I had my first micro at 39, second at 40 (hoping this is the last one for a loooonnnngggg time).
AGGIE I am still waiting on my phone call from the OS, turns out he is without his PA and no "fellow" at the moment so he is seriously overworked. I did talk to the receptionist about the weird burning sensation in my scar and she spoke to him, he says it sounds like a nerve is caught up in my scar tissue. It even sounds painful to me Supposed to massage it vigorously to work the nerve loose. What fun.
mb It sounds like you are doing well after that major surgery. I had one good looking pt, turns out he didnt like doing what the  OS said so I got rid of him, but exercising is still more fun when you have eye candy to take your mind off your troubles. About the knee brace question, I am still not in one at 3 mnths post op but it is on my question list whenever the OS gets time to talk to me UGH,
HOpe all is going well for you guys
Missy ;D
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2004, 04:51:47 AM »
MB - I was not wearing a brace at your time post op.  I think you have one cause you had ACL work done also.  I now have an unloader brace, which is like an ACL brace but it also "unloads" the medial condyle where my microfracture was done. Hopefully, it will help with the healing by not putting so much pressure on the site when I'm walking. Over time, I will probably only use it when I run the dogs.
Heel slides are more difficult and harder because you are contracting your muscles.  Doing them as much as you can will help I think, you just don't have to push it at this point.
Owww  :-/ I can't imagine flying with a swollen knee, the pressure and the sitting there must have been agony.  THat hurts even thinking about it!   I probably would have ordered a gigantic Gin/Tonic on ice, and used the ice for the knee, the G/T for the pain! ;D

Hey Barb -  check with your OS before weight bearing, even if the PT guy says ok.  I think it's pretty important to stay off of the knee for at least 6 weeks.  Completely off :-/   Dr Steadman, the guru of microfracture says as ong as 8 weeks.  That new cartilage in the making needs time to form/harden and any weight bearing on it may ruin it.   Missy - didn't you start walking early on your first one??  Just be careful, ok? :)
You teach music lessons?  Flute and other instruments??  

Pam - I'm sorry I can't help you. There is a guy who has a website (google-microfracture/knee) who had it done on his patella and ran a half or full marathon within something like six months.  I had such high hopes after I read his website, only to find myself still struggling to walk at a faster pace at four months!  Hope you find your answer. Mine was on the medial femoral condyle.  I DO fit the age category though  ;D

Missy - I'm thinking that the unloader brace is a good thing.  For uneven ground, longer walks, "faster" walking it seems to steady my leg nicely, and I don't feel so much pressure on the medial side.  Since we have "limited mileage" on this new cartilage, the idea of having one to "offload" that side will probably be a good idea for the long term also.  They are not pretty, but if it does the job, well hallelujah!

Things are going fairly well here...did a bit of gardening today, AFTER I went to dog training with my little guy.  My knee feels a little "tight and abused" but can't say that I"m hurting. It's still getting just a teensy tiny bit better every day, although I feel like I still have a long way to go. Once again wish that the OS folks would be more realistic with this recovery time frame.  I mean, depending on where and what and the fact that we all take our own time to heal, I still think that most of us are looking at about 6 months for healing.  And I thought I'd be done by 6 weeks!!!! OI  :-/

But, the sun is shining here also, and we have to take life as it comes.  Be well,

Aggie

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2004, 05:09:29 AM »
Hi ya - Aggie, my os recommended I start driving.  I am still non wt bearing for 1 more week.  Get this... I'm now using a walker (zimmer)!!  I have never liked those crutches.  With the walker I can move forward without fear and simulate the walking gait while remaining non wt bearing on my right leg.  My pt suggested it after he saw me use it today.  I said well if it helps me get where I am going (Goal- to begin to wt bear) then Let me have one!  I drove and got it today.  I told pt that I would have to start talking like a little old lady using it!  LOL  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 05:10:37 AM by Barbs »
March 2, 2004 - Micro-fracture Chondroplasty

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2004, 05:34:08 AM »
Hi Barb - I just went back and read that you ARE pretty much at 6 weeks post op!! ;D   For some reason I thought you were not even 2 weeks post op and I was having visions of you walking on that tender, new, fibrocartilage.....   ::)   I'm glad the walker is working for you!  I figure, whatever it takes!!!  I went from one crutch to a cane pretty quick, and took that cane everywhere.   I was so delighted to have one hand free again!   So, roll on!

Aggie

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2004, 12:56:54 AM »
Well, I thought I was going to be able to 'walk' better using a walker, but I am having trouble with that too.  Besides the walker I got yesterday is too low for me and I have to take it back.  Back to the walking....It seems I have everyone's attention at the PT gym!  I am the really gimpie one who cannot manuever crutches or a walker!  So, Steve (sigh) tells me to go back and get the taller walker (I am almost 5'8").  I'll do that tomorrow.  Ok, the real problem with my gait is that my right leg (the op leg) needs to stay straight as I push my left leg ahead with a step.  While I am doing this I need to lean into the walker and let my arms/wrists take my weight.  Which is where I think the real problem lies.  My right wrist has been aching a lot lately and I have even had to use the wheelchair during the  day to give them a break.  I have less than a week left of non wt bearing and I will see what the os says next Wed.  Yippee!

I was just feeling so frustrated today at pt.  I just had to write about.  Thanks for reading.
Barb

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2004, 08:30:55 PM »
Hi Barb - how are you doing today?  Did you get the new walker??

PT can be frustrating at times, I know.  My frustration with PT sometimes is that at PT I'm feeling well, able to do a lot of things, walk naturally, even do stairs, then I get home and I seem to be a bowl of quivering jelly.  Walking stairs is painful, "loading" the knee hurts and even the same exercises as in PT seem to hurt more....what's up with that?  Does my mind kick into "can't show weakness at PT" mode?  Guess I should move into the PT place for awhile!  ;D

Hang in there, it will get better!  All these steps seem so slow and so "never ending" but it WILL get better!

Aggie

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2004, 02:14:49 AM »
Hey there Aggie and all!

Yes, I went and exchanged the walker.  After Wednesday's little scene....I 'walked' in with the junior size walker in the middle of a staff meeting (hey, I was on time!) and all eyes were evaluating me!!  I was really off guard.  Later I had 3 PT's offering their advice to Steve (sigh) all commenting on how I 'walked'.   :-/

This other walker is definitely the correct height.  I am so looking forward to my os appt next Wed.  Tuesday the 13th marks 6 weeks!  

I am fighting a cold today, but feeling better with some Advil (ibuprofen), rested mostly, except went out to exchange the walker and went through a drive through for lunch.

BTW, Steve told me my MCF was on the femur.  I will ask doc more on Wednesday about all he did.

Barb

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2004, 05:52:42 AM »
YAY!!  Success!!  With this walker I am now able to do what my PT is asking of me.  I am able walk with my right leg locked straight (surgery leg), while my left foot goes forward taking a step.  It's funny, because I walked in close to tears.  As I entered the building another PT said "I was watching you walk across the parking lot and I didn't see you putting that foot down!"  Well, this was not the day for me to hear criticism!  This was they day that I drove myself.  There were no parking spaces close by so I had to hobble across the parking lot.  It is that time of month.  Well, I got a private room for pt because all the tables were full.  I made use of the room and cried while I was getting the heat applied.  I was down right frustrated.  It will be 6 weeks this Tuesday and this is the first time I broke down.  Hearing that woman's comment didn't help.  But I did feel better afterwards.  

Now that I can walk correctly, my wrists are about to give out!  Oh well,  I least I am not falling apart all at once!

Barb - who is looking forward to her OS appt. on Wed. April 14th at 10:45am!!

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2004, 06:08:10 AM »
Congrats on "walking the walker", Barb!  I think you are doing fine!  This surgery has a  surprisingly involved rehab, and its a lot of little steps.  I'm surprised it took you 6 weeks to break down and have a good cry!  I found myself incredibly emotional from the day I stopped taking percocets  8)  Seriously, it seems that sometimes right before you have a "physical knee breakthrough in pt" you get very emotional.  Don't know why that is, but I've experienced the same thing.  Totally frustrated with my situation, totally down, close to bawling in the street and then all of a sudden there's a silver lining to the cloud!   Sometimes I go off by myself and have a good cry for having lost these past months, for not being able to be active and feeling cooped up,  and for being scared that it's not working.  Somehow, out of these good emotional releases I seem to be able to pick up and continue my PT, my exercises, and live with the limitations.

You still have a long way to go, that's not meant to discourage you, it's meant to "allow you" to take the time it takes to heal. To minimize the feeling of inadequacy and to let you know that while people around you might think you should be totally well now, it's going to take quite some time to get the knee back.  BUT, it WILL come back.  It gets a little better everyday.  Try writing in a journal what it is you can and can't do. Write your progress once a week and you'll see that maybe you walk a little straighter, maybe you can go a little further before the wrists hurt, etc etc,  You are getting better!!!

Hang in there girl!

Aggie

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2004, 06:17:10 AM »
Thank you Aggie!   :)  You are really encouraging.  I forgot to mention that I was so pleased with myself today that I took myself one step further ::)  and went and got a manicure!  Just had to celebrate!

Take Care - How are you feeling?  Where do you live? UK or US or ??

Barb

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
I'm walking!!
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2004, 09:11:23 PM »
Hey All!  I'm walking!  Well, to be honest, it's more like a shuffle, but I'm getting there!  I turned the corner (so to speak) last Friday, learning the one step.  Yesterday, I learned to 2 step!!  This is all done keeping my MCF leg straight with maybe 20-30% weight bearing.  Today marks 6 weeks, ;D and my dr appt is tomorrow.  Oh happy day!

Hang in there post-ops!
Barb

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2004, 09:18:16 PM »
Congratulations Barb!!!!! ;D That is wonderful. Keep up the hard work and you will be well in no time. We are routing for you!
Missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline MB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2004, 11:20:21 PM »
Hey Barb - congratulations, Sounds like a big step!!

(Sorry, that was crap, but I couldn't resist  :-[ )

MB

Offline agilk9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2004, 03:12:44 AM »

Way to go, Barb!! :D

I love hearing about successes!  I'm excited for you, for I know you were a little concerned about your ability to walk.  Bet Steve is proud of you too! :-*   ;D

You're doing great!  Can't wait to hear what your OS has to say!

Aggie

Offline Barbs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2004, 02:29:03 AM »
Hello all - I had a great os appt. today!  He did a rom test on me though and bent my leg all the way OUCH!  The really great part is that in PT I can now move forward to full wt bearing as tolerated with full rom exercises.  Hey, I'll be trading my walker in for a cane REAL soon!  ;D

Barb

support