Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Georgie's MPFL Reconstruction, TTO and Tibial Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 13684 times)

Offline lucha86

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 40
Re: Georgie's MPFL Reconstruction, TTO and Tibial Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »
I agree with Emma on this hydrotherapy might be a good option as it is non weight bearing and it might help you  as well and it I'll work every muscule group  remember your quadricep the top of your leg will be weak so you might feel shaky from it but remember you have had a big operation and everyone's progress is different ask your physio for more exercises to do and explain how you feel to them ....
My physios help me when my leg doesn't react the way it should keep us posted chin up things will get better :))

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »
No I haven't tried hydrotherapy but what a good idea!! I'm not sure how far along in my recovery I'll have to be before I can - at the moment I have only just come off the crutches so still quite shaky walking. I will ask at my next physio appointment.
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline esm87

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
Hi Georgie

I think I was allowed to go into the pool at about 8 weeks after my operation? So i'd definitely ask and find out! Hope you're doing well.

Emma

Offline Leena20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »
Hi. I'm having a femoral derotation later this month and am slightly terrified about it - might need it derotated at my ankle too but think my surgeon wants to take on one thing at a time. Getting your bone cut through sounds a bit insane but I'm in so much achy pain all the time. I'm 25 and living with my parents so was just wondering how long realistically it might take to get back to work? Last time I had a double knee op the surgeon said 3 weeks but everything that could go wrong did go wrong and it ended up being 5 months!

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Hi there Leena,

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on this site as much recently.

I haven't had a femoral derotation yet - I needed the surpramalleolar derotation on my left leg and need a femoral derotation on my right, so I can't give you any advice on that one, but I will try and give you an overview of what I've had done!

I had a few other procedures done at the same time, and honestly, the derotation was the easiest one to manage! I'm now nearly 5 months post op and apart from a bit of swelling occasionally, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell anything had happened (although obviously its straighter now!).

I was only actually in a plaster cast for about 3 weeks? Which seems ridiculous but like I said I had a few other procedures on my knee and I needed to start moving my knee which I couldn't do in the cast. At first I was SO tentative about putting my foot down, and I was actually non weight bearing for about 6 weeks - not sure if this was because of my knee ops but I'm surprised your surgeon has said three weeks?! Unless he is expecting you to work on your crutches? I have only actually gone back to work 2 weeks ago so I can understand your frustration with it actually being 5 months. I too was told I would be up and walking at 8 weeks….. lies…….

I have had quite a few issues with my knee itself, so I can't give you a clear idea of the derotation itself due to those set backs. However, it was honestly the easiest part and if you stay on the pain meds Im sure you'll be fine! I had a plate put in the stabilise it and its been fine. I will need the plate removed at some point, but its been a relatively simple recovery so far - just waiting for the bone to grow.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer - its difficult because its my knee thats causing the problem. If it were just for my ankle I probably would have been back at work ages ago! What do you do for work? If its an office based job and you can get around easily on crutches I'd say you probably go back after three weeks - but I still had a lot of pain then and would have found it hard to concentrate.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck with your procedure!
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »
just an update on my progress for a) incase anyone is reading this and b) to remind myself of the slow journey when the time comes to have the same surgeries done on my right leg!

on the 24th it was exactly six months since my op. It has definitely been a struggle that I was not prepared for, both physically and mentally! When it comes to having my right leg done I will definitely try to build more quad muscles prior to surgery and also prepare myself mentally for a long old recovery - instead of being disappointed at my lack of progress 12 weeks in.

As for the recovery itself, I have recently (as in 3 weeks ago) got a new physio and she is brilliant. I have had three sessions of ultra sound with her focusing on the MPFL scar site due to some scar tissue that is affecting my ROM. Tomorrow I am seeing the surgeon to see if its worth having a manipulation under anaesthetic to break up the remaining scar tissue - fingers crossed it will be okay to just continue with physio and ultra sound and I won't need the MUA.

I am also there to discuss getting the hardware removed from my leg - the plate and screws from my derotation osteotomy and one massive screw from the TTO which at the moment protrudes out of my knee about 1.5 cm!! Really hope I can get that one out definitely.

As for my gait and ROM I have found that after going back to work and being on my feet all day, it suddenly got better after about 2.5/3 weeks. I was suddenly able to walk with weight on my bent knee, stairs were suddenly a lot easier and I found after stretching my quad out 5 times a day that the ROM has increased and my whole leg just feels a lot more 'together'. Really positive as for a while I seemed to have plateaued with the recovery but a lot more promising now.

I have been riding again and my new straight leg and working knee feel better than ever riding-wise. (bit sore afterwards but just keep applying ice/heat)

Have found using these knee 'sock' things that have little compartments which you can put heat patches in have really helped keep my knee from stiffening up after riding or after being on my feet all day at work. Would definitely recommend to anyone suffering from sore MPFL site further down the recovery process.

I am off travelling May 2016 so I am hoping that by early next year my left leg saga will be finished and I can look forward to getting my right leg done on my return!

Offline Lioness_20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Do you still come online on the website. I am exactly your age and have the same surgeon as you. I had a trochleoplasty and MPFL recon and was wondering how you are now? I am currently 2 and a half months pre op. Hope to hear back from you :)