Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LCL / PLC Reconstruction  (Read 1787 times)

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LCL / PLC Reconstruction
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »

Hi - newbie here.  I'm having a lateral collateral ligament and posterolateral corner rebuild next week (using LARS open surgery method) ; anyone got any experiences of things to do / not to do in the first couple of weeks post surgery? Thanks.
2/12/11 - Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction (LARS open surgery)

Offline ausforce

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: LCL / PLC Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
Good luck,
Had the same op both knees some time ago.... one piece of advice... for god's sake don't fall over.. if you think the op will hurt falling over is a bitch.... I know I slipped and fell. anyway the  best of luck to you..

baz

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
Ive just had this surgery on the 16th November as well as ACL reconstruction.  I was in surgery for 6 hours and the nerve block stopped the pain for the first 24 hours.  I have since got a lot of shin pain, very painful.  Let me know if you get this, I think its to do with the tunnels into the bones.  I have been told no weight bearing for 6 weeks and be careful not to fall on it. 

It will be nice to hear how your getting on just having it done, im finding some of the pain hard and now have tramadol to help.

Thanks Jo

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
Will do Jo, having it done on Friday.. :(

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
Just to let you know I had my staples out yesterday 62 in total eek.  Feel so much better now though.

They have probably given you a nerve block, if its the case after surgery you will feel nothing, which is great, just a very heavy leg and the only way you know you still have it is by seeing your toes lol.

While I was in hospital to be honest it wasn't too bad, the beds are high and when you get up your leg just hangs which helps.  It will be difficult lifting your leg (well I still find it hard but I don't know if that was because I have had my ACL reconstructed too where they took 6 strands of hamstring).

If your bed is reasonable high at home it will help.  I have also got a bath stool which I sit on when trying to wash.  So far I have not been able to have a proper shower or bath, but managed to keep as clean as possible using a flannel. 

My left leg is now getting really strong due to having to compensate and I can now get off the sofa without help  :) I really couldn't do that before.  I have not attempted stairs yet (I live in a new apartment so everything is on the same level and reasonably easy to move around, without my dog getting under my feet, saying that if you have a dog that sleeps with you at night don't let them in the room, mine jumped up in the middle of the night and landed straight on my shin, I was in so much pain I screamed, so now she sleeps in the living room).

Also if you get uncomfortable sleeping on your back all the time, put your brace on and then turn, it's less painful but wouldn't advise this until stitches/staples are out as your skin pulls a lot.  I could probably send you photos of my stitches if you like, there very clean.

The surgeon and physio's both told me to keep my calf moving, so as often as possible lift your toes up and push your toes down, helps keep the blood flowing and the more you do it the less your calf will shrink.  I dont think I did mine enough and my inside calf got really tight, I now do it quite often, I also have a vibrating massager similar to the link below http://www.homedics.co.uk/uk/produkte/massage/handheld/pm-quad.html
This helps a lot.

I hope this helps and let me know how your getting on

Jo

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:40:09 AM »

Hi - had the surgery on Friday and came home last night - struggling with pain relief (hence being on here at 5.30am!).  Have 3 LARS ligaments ;  PCL and 2 making up the LCL and PLC.  Subcutaneous suturing to the main wound which is a bonus ; no stitches or staples to have taken out though I've heard the scarring is worse this way.

The calf pain is worst ; may look into the massager you suggest Jo. Had Oramorph whilst in hospital but it didnt seem as powerful as the DH Codiene they've discharged me with.  Have a cricket splint (that the NHS provided) and a hinged brace that private physio got - still on cricket splint for first few days. Struggling to get comfortable on sofa or bed at the moment, so will keep experimenting with pillow combinations until I get it right!

Surgeon is excellentand nationally known for his LARS work though so i've no doubt he's left me in the best position to start recovery from - going to be a long path!

Offline joclark2000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:03 AM »
The LCL is part of the PLC so I wonder why he used two LARS for that, must be something to do with the Popliteus.  No stitches or staples sounds good, I have a lot of scaring at the moment, I assume that wont be seen easily in a year. 

I saw my physio yesterday and she told me to try not to use pillows as I need to get my leg straight, so I assume you will need to do the same.  I am still using pillows for comfort but also taking the pillow out a lot to push my knee down and try to get it straight.  I also have to bend it now too, so im sitting on a high stool and letting my leg hang, slowly pushing it back. 

Since the weekend I have been getting sharp pains mainly when I get up but also at other times in my outer calf.  She told me to put a towel or dressing gown cord and wrap it round the ball of my foot when lying down and pull the foot up, this hurts at first but gets easier and helps the calf a lot.  I do it for 10 reps 6 times a day.  Holding for 30 seconds every time. 

I also had the problem that a couple of days after I got home from surgery I couldn't put my heel to the ground because my calf was so tight, doing the above helps this a lot, I can now put my foot down and have to when Im walking on crutches just no weight bearing.

I would have thought you would be similar, but I had the ACL and PLC done not the PCL and PLC.

Good luck and push through it. 

Offline LancashireRL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »
7 days post op now and its going well - swelling reducing and got about 30 degree flexion in hinged brace.

Anyone got any advice on how best to further pad the brace pad below the knee?  With the nature of the surgery being mainly metal work at top of Fibula (and the actual surgery wound being 5 inches down the lateral side onto calf) the pain from that area where one of the brace pads sits is severe. 

Pain relief (oxycontin) is great for all the aches / pains apart from the breakthrough pain when I move which is caused by this pressure on the operative area, any advice appreciated...

support