Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How long is the transition from PWB to FWB?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline blader1611

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long is the transition from PWB to FWB?
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
sorry newbie here so apologies if this isnt in the right thread.

I am 6 weeks post op from having microfracture surgery,acl reconstruction (hamstring graft) and meniscus repair for bucket handle tear. They did these procedures all in one go but for my rehab I am following a microfracture protocol which dictates that I cannot bear any weight for 6 - 8 weeks and I wear a brace which is set to stop me bending my leg more than 90 degrees. Just as an added complication I also had a depressed fracture of the tibia plateau which meant I had to wait 8 weeks before all these procedures took place. This means I have a lot of muscle wastage and not much in the place of firing muscles.
Now you have the background could anyone please help me with some questions? I am due to start partial weight bearing this week but how long does it take to get to walking unaided? Had crutches now for nearly 4 months and I really want to get shut of them.
Other problems I have are still a lot of swelling round the knee even though i ice regularly and elevate for hours on end every day. When will it go? i also still cannot get my leg straight despite exercising my leg to within an inch of its life. Last week physio said I was still at 14 degrees but after she did lots of pushing\stretching i did get to minus 7 although it always springs back about an hour later. Any advice? I have read lots of peoples accounts on here but nobody seems to have gone through the same procedures as me and not many people from the UK.
Would be eternally grateful for any advice about quicker progress tips and also any insight in to the next few months for me?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:48:12 PM by blader1611 »

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: How long is the transition from PWB to FWB?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:31:27 AM »
I am certainly not an expert on this, but if you're wanting to work on maintaining extension, you might want to try rolling up a small towel and putting it under your heel as you sit on the floor and letting your leg just rest straight and have gravity assist with straightening the knee as you tighten your quads. Don't pick up the heel much, just enough of a lift that you can get a squeeze downward and work on the knee extension without overdoing it, so you can keep control of the movement and not hurt yourself. If you can even just relax and let gravity hold your leg straight while you watch tv, maybe that'll help loosen up the tight tendons? maybe try a hot pack on the knee to loosen things as you gently stretch? I've used heat while gently stretching to work on my range of motion, and then left the heat on while relaxing to help keep things from tightening up after I did my exercises - rounds of 10-15 min of heat, then a break, then another round of heat. Might be worth a try?

Whatever you do be VERY careful to be gentle with yourself and not do very much at once, and to be very cautious so you don't push it too fast, or you can actually do more harm than good. Progress in little bits is better than trying too hard and feel like you got nowhere because you stretched too much and it tightened back up with a vengeance.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline blader1611

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: How long is the transition from PWB to FWB?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice DM.

I thought i would provide an update just in case anyone else is in the same position. I went to Physio on Friday which was 6 weeks and 2 days post op and she said i can now go 50% PWB for the next 3 weeks and possibly by the end of that i will be comfortable enough to go FWB. This was good news as i expected a longer transition.
Update on my straight leg situation is that i still cant get full extension. i may have had my figures the wrong way round in the original post but essentially i think i was -8 this week and then after stretching I got to 5 degrees and i think the aim is to be at 10 degrees, not sure if the minus and the positive are the right way round so may be somebody can put me straight on that (no pun intended).
Physio was wondering whether something was blocking the joint from straightening which would mean going back in to the knee to have a look around. i dont think its that and i certainly hope it isnt, I believe its purely down to stiff muscles and tendons. Any one else get to full leg extension slowly?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:16:01 AM by blader1611 »