Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How do you cope with your knee problems during the winter months!  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
With those of us that live in the northern hemisphere winter is fast approaching and are now starting to get the damp cooler days with drizzle and fog. I though my right knee was 85% ok after I had a scope on it in November 2009 to trim the fat pad a remove the medial plica. I would now say my knee is 60% ok as I am now feeling more pain in both knees since the cooler damp air has set in.

The main pain is mainly around the portal areas in my right knee when bending my knee while kneeling and squatting that was more and less pain free during the warmer weather. Is it early stages of arthritis as I have been working outdoors for over 12 years on a golf course so could well be prone to arthritis. Is it a combination of both scar tissue and arthritis as I get the most pain around the portals.

I have maltraking in my left knee more then in my right and sometimes feel pain around the whole kneecap more in the cooler weather then when it is warm. I am not too concerned about my knees at the moment, would just like to know what other members do to reduce the knee pain. I have some swelling at the bottom of both knees that increase after running. I can run more and less pain free and is not too much of a problem at the moment.

Do you take ibuprofen gel or tablets to reduce the pain and swelling and try and keep the knees warm by wearing thicker clothing. Is deep heat or freeze any good at reducing the knee pain as each individual use a certain type of method to reduce the swelling and knee pain during the winter months.

Nick :) {2011} :)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:28:46 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: How do you cope with your knee problems during the winter months!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »
I think if you had OA it would have been discovered already.

I've been having a bit of pain and stinging sensations round by the scars and it seems that other people who have had scopes suffer the same even though I've heard physios tell me that it can't.

I've also foudn when surfing the net and asking physios that cold or damp aren't supposed to affect the knee even if it is arthritic even though many patients with OA insist that it does.

The reason for this is that the doctors cannot find a locial reason why cold and amp affects the knees, so they deny that it does altogether.

MY PT say's it might be something to do with extra synovial fluid but thjat was about all he could say.  He said that nay OS would insist that cold and damp cannot affect the knee/
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »
Hi kscope09,

Thanks for replying and convinced that the cold and damp does affect the knees and speeds up the process of getting arthritus. My knee pain is less during the spring and summer months and inceases during the autumn and winter months so there is a logical reason for it and it due to the cooler and damper air. My mum who is 73 says her joints hurt more when it cold and damp outside so must affect the joints.

I also think the portals will be a problem after surgery with some scar tissue caused by the incisions and even my pysio told me I will always have a bit of swelling around the portals. Never thought about the synovial fluid in the knees could be the cause of the knee pain in cooler temperatures and does make sense.

Nick  :) {2011} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
My pt said that even a tiny increase in synovial fluid can icnrease pain, but that is just speculation rather than any kind of conrete scientific udnerstanding.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o