Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: When menisc surgery is not necessary  (Read 757 times)

Offline Almot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
When menisc surgery is not necessary
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:21:19 AM »
Interesting opinion by doctor: http://www.howardluksmd.com/sports-medicine/meniscus-tears-why-surgery-isnt-always-necessary/

Good article and (a bit lengthy) discussion below where he is answering questions.

In a nutshell, , he says that

1) Meniscus repair or partial removal should only be done to improve the current level of activity. If patient is OK with his current symptoms at his current lifestyle, and there are no "mechanical symptoms", then there is no need for surgery. Not performing a surgery in this case (i.e. sans mechanical symptoms) will not speed up the onset of arthritis in this spot.

2) OTH, once torn part is removed, arthritis usually sets in, he says, and reminds known fact that in patients older than 20 years or with large tear or after it's been torn for several months, it is likely to be removed - not repaired.

Your decision to have surgery should be based on the effect the tear is having on your quality of life... If a patient is not experiencing any mechanical symptoms (popping, catching, locking, giving way) than it is reasonable to assume that you are not causing any significant damage

If you symptoms
come and go.... I would not consider surgery because of what I may or may not feel in the future. If the surgery offered a clear protective or preserving function then perhaps that concept has some merit. Unfortunately, that is not the reality of meniscus surgery.

With patients who have unstable knee, though, it's a different situation and surgery can be necessary because of danger of fall and injury if knee suddenly locks or gives way.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:29:07 AM by Almot »