Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL Sprain Advice Needed  (Read 6943 times)

Offline dave04380

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL Sprain Advice Needed
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
I hurt my knee while playing softball about 9 weeks ago.  When I did it,  I was able to continue playing, and just thought I might have bruised my knee.  Howver, the next day I could barely move it.  I waited a week after that to go into the Dr.  The MRI showed an MCL "sprain", and the Doc told me to take it easy (R.I.C.E.-Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation).   However, he did specify that I did not have to restrict any of my activity unless it caused pain.  I have been wearing a neopren sleeve on the knee, and that helped bring down the swelling, and I've even been able to continue light excersing (including hitting only in softball).  By week 6 it was feeling the best it had felt since I injured it (Much more stable and flexible). However, over the last three weeks it has started to feel significantly worse, and it started "catching", particulary when I wake up in the morning.  When I bend it, it feels like something is cracking in my knee cap.

I went back in to the Doc five days ago, and he gave me a cortisone shot.  The   He wasn't sure what was causing the pain to return, but thought maybe the shot would help reduce some of the swollen tissue in the joint.   The knee feels better since the shot, but is not completely gone.  Today, I was doin some painting, which required me to be going up and down on a ladder, and the knee is more sore again tonight.  With it being almost 9 weeks since the injury now, I'm sick of waiting around, I just want to get some relief and get back to my normal routine.  Anyone have any input?  Should I go back for another MRI?  I know the doc told me 6-8 weeks recovery time, but from reading some other posts on here, it seems like it may take longer than that?  Very frustrating, anyone that can share any stories of similar experiences, I'd greatly appreciate it. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:49:50 AM by dave04380 »

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
Re: MCL Sprain Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »
it can take significantly longer to fully settle, i think mine took over a year for the mcl to be normal! However, i did/do have other things happening in the knee too.
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline dave04380

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »
oh wow...over a year?  It's only been 9 weeks for me and im already inpatient with it.  Any advice?

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
i initially had it braced for 8weeks, i then had ultrasound via NHS p/t, i had three orthopaedic appointments during that time, at the last one it was decided for me to have an MRI, as like you things were still painful.  I had the MRI about 8 weeks after the last appt, it took 2 more weeks until it was reported, which is stated on my signature at the bottom!  I take it nothing else was found on your MRI, just wonder if there is torn meniscus or something causing your problems??  I then had a final appt with this particular orthopaedic consultant, by which time i was about 16weeks after the initial injury.  I had what appeared to be an acl rupture too, but wasnt prepared to reconstruct, but referred me on to one of his colleagues for options(had surgery Jan this year) 2x microfractures and chondroplasty!!! Anyway i was told, at the final appt with o/s no 1 that i would need to strengthen the knee and there could be pain in the mcl region for up to and over a year!!!!  i  am not an athlete just a person doing normal stuff so the MCL hasnt been a huge problem for me, it did take about a year for the tenderness to subside and swelling on the medial side to subside.  I do feel that it is still very early in the healing process, if it was a grade 1 sprain it should heal a lot quicker, just dont over do it!
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline dave04380

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
yeah nothing else was found on my mri, although i may have another one done on monday just for good measure.  How does your knee feel now, do you still suffer a lot of discomfort?

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
the mcl feels fine, no pain, and it appears to be holding okay(i have lax ligaments but that is another story)! You need to see what the MRI throws up if anything. Like i say, it is still early days,