Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: WonkeyDonkey's High Tibial Osteotomy - Open Wedge Diary 11/11/11  (Read 39137 times)

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
WonkeyDonkey's High Tibial Osteotomy - Open Wedge Diary 11/11/11
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
I am going in for my operation at 7.15am tomorrow morning. I feel fine about my decision to have a High Tibial Osteotomy Open Wedge to help sort out the pain in my left knee which has grade 4 OA. I will be moving the weight-bearing to the mid to lateral side of my knee. I feel fully prepared with the help of my OS, my GP, physio's, some other KG's and much of my own reading on this website. Thank you.

I will post again soon but in the meantime I need to stop eating at 2am and drinking clear fluids at 6am, looks like I will have to get up early just to have a glass of water!!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:13:59 PM by WonkeyDonkey »

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: WonkeyDonkey's High Tibial Osteotomy - Open Wedge Diary 11/11/11
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »
Wonkey, good luck! I thought this has been delayed, but this is excellent news! Good to get it all over and done with and get on that road to recovery. I've only had osteotomy on my foot but the first 48 hours were the nastiest for the bone pain, make sure you stay ahead of the pain and take what they offer! Definitely get a little fluid down in the morning before cut off time, I found it at least stopped my headache until just before I went to theatre....and my doc was delayed for about 2 hours and it was HOT in April so I was suffering...

Let us know how things go, and wishing you lots of luck for tomorrow

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »
Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Contractorarsenal

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »
Hi Pat,

Hope your putting the Cryo-Cuff to good use and started doing the exercises!
Let me know when your out of hospital and I will give you a call.

All the best

Mike

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for your support. Mike thanks for all you help. Lottiefox, This op was a cancellation and I was phoned on Wednesday 2nd to have the pre op on 7th and op on 11th November 2011.

Friday 11th November Day 1

Got to hospital for 7.15am, went though all normal checks, saw OS and then went for op. All went well according to OS. Felt groggy from the GA and was very sleepy. Took all pain killers offered although I had had lots of local anaesthetic injected into the osteotomy site. Had large bandage covering the wound and couldn't bend my leg. Spent the evening with pulsing boots on my feet to help with blood circulation etc. Spent a bit of a restless night, waking up with the noise of the machines and fans going on the ward.

Day 2  Saturday 12//1/11

Taking pain killers. Nurses removed bandages. OS came to see me and said the operation went very well and was a text book case. Also said I was not allowed to sit in the chair and had to rest the leg out straight to help get the swelling down which could last for weeks. Physio came to get me up. Was told how to get out of bed and onto my crutches correctly. Took a small walk along the ward and as far as the toilet!and back to bed. Felt good to get up but leg throbbed after a little while.Used a cryo cuff a lot of the day to help reduce swelling. Kept up the pain killers, 8 co-dydramols and also some liquid morphine.

Day 3 Sunday 13/11/11

No physio visit today, but had to try to push the back of the knee into the bed in order to help straighten out my leg. Felt very sleepy today and kept dosing off. Used the cryo cuff overnight but took it off at about 4am. Used it again a lot of the day to help reduce the swelling also used bags of ice for 20 minutes twice today. Not a good nights sleep due to my knee feeling numb, had an extra visit from a doctor to check the numbness. All is well but apparently sometimes the nerves endings get a little numb from the movement during the op. I could not feel in between the top of my thigh and my ankle. Have been up to visit the loo and to wash but that is a far as I am allowed to walk. Spent all day icing and resting. Feeling very positive. Bruising is starting to come out on the back of the knee, it is a lovely purple colour.

Day 4 14/11/11

Again not a very good night sleep but the feeling was coming back into my leg. Was told that it would be some of the marcaine wearing off and it starts to tingle like pins and needles. This is a good sign. Spent some of the night not being able to sleep because of the tingling although it was not painful. Swelling seemed to be stretching myskin to it's limit, it feels very tight. Saw my OS' registrar again who was very happy with the progress who checked on the numbness of my leg. Then I saw the physio who took me for a walk along the corridor and had me practicing how to go up and down the stairs on my crutches. Bit scary at first but I can always use my bottom if needs be and I loose my confidence. He was very pleased and said I could go home if everyone agreed. Next I had some x-rays taken. Then I had a visit from occupational health, to check that I would be able to manage at home. Offering to help with aids and information, also that I could get the use of a wheelchair for 3 months at no cost, just needing a letter signed by my GP. Thought I might take this offer up so I can get out of the house for some fresh air. Will let you know how I get on. After this busy morning, a short sleep was in order. After lunch I saw my OS and his registrar, who was now happy with my progress and said I was not to weight bear for 4 weeks and then 2 weeks partial weight bearing after that. I will be seeing him in two weeks and 6 weeks. Finally got home in time for dinner. It's great to be home.

Day 5 15/11/11

Not a terribly good night as I got uncomfortable by about 4am. Took off the cryo cuff which had by now wamed up. All I wanted to do was lay on my side which I cannot do. So I went back to sleep for a while, on my back again! Took more pain killers early morning. Managed to get myself up, washed, and dressed in a reasonable fashion. I found a office chair on wheels helped a lot in the bathroom. My son helped me down the stairs, although this was done on my bottom and not on the crutches, my confidence just wasn't there. Have sat watching TV most of the day, although forgot how boring it could be, even with loads of channels. Been waited on hand and foot, but miss my independance. Pain levels have been good and on leaving hospital was told to ditch taking my Naproxen tablets for 3 months to help with the bone growth. One lot less to remember. Have kept up the pain killers and the leg feels fine, a little hot but have iced it a fair bit. Bruising on top of the leg is now coming out. Hopefully I will have a better nights sleep tonight and I will post again soon. Thanks for your support, especially Mike and his wife who has answered many questions for me.

WD

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:09:08 AM by WonkeyDonkey »

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »
Hi Wonkey

Its all upwards from here. You're doing really well. Bone work is horribly painful. I bet it is lovely to be back at home. I did stairs on my bum for several days after my foot op; I just didn't have the courage to scale the whole flight on the crutches and feared I'd fall onto all the lovely bonework done on my foot! Daytime TV sucks big time. I resorted to DVDs of This Life, Cold Feet and Spooks. I think Spooks was my saviour and then I decided to make some cards...that lasted about an hour as I got fed up forgetting things I needed in the other room.....make the most of the downtime.....

Keep us posted and hope things carry on going smoothly. When do you go back for a check up?

Lottie xx

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
Hi

Lottie thanks for your support.

Day 6 16/11/11 Wed

Had a really bad nights sleep, spent most of the night uncomfortable and awake. I realised through the night that I was one dose of pain killers short, I had miscalculated the timings of taking them. Soon corrected this and have had a better day after a lie in. Managing to use the bathroom on my office chair, washing hair etc is getting easier. Can't wait to use the bath again! This is a while off yet though! Used the cryo cuff for a good deal today, trying to get the swelling down a little. Bruising is getting more colourful, behind my knee, thigh and calf it is a lovely shade of purple, my shin is starting to turn yellow. Feet have been up all day exept trips to the loo! Got a phone call for my first lot of physio on Fri 25th Nov. Felt a little tearful during evening, think it was because I was feeling tired and just wanted a good nights sleep.

Day 7 17/11/11 Thurs

Still not a good nights sleep, but I did take all the pain killers and used the cryo cuff during the night. Had a good day, kept up the exercises I was shown in hospital, but my calf muscle feels really tight and also one in the back of my thigh. These need stretching using one of my exercises and also making sure that when I walk on my crutches I put my heel down first. Not walking far, as it is only to the loo and back. Cryo cuff is still my best friend and I can feel some of the swelling has subsided a little, although more bruising has come out.

Day 8 18/11/11 Fri

Had a better night sleep, left one lot of pain killers to take at the last minute before I went to bed, had more pillows and a more sitting up right position to sleep in. Not quite so uncomfortable. Woke twice and had a lie in. Feeling very positive today. Ready to do my exercises and cryo cuff. I have lots of DVD's and daytime TV to watch, although I have lots of puzzle books, a kindle with lots of books on, a phone and my laptop to keep me occupied today! My husband is fab, and is waiting on me hand and foot, filling up the cryo cuff, making meals, checking on me when in bed, and I couldn't ask for better.

WD

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
Yay, sounding good. First few days are always the most painful. I got very tearful - think it was lack of sleep, boredom and fretting about when I'd be able to walk again. You forget that life was ever normal and feel scared it won't ever be again....... :-\   

I have the full boxed sets of House that I never got around to watching if you get really desperate!! I can strongly recommend avoiding Jeremy Kyle unless you want to slip into further depression! I got into reruns of Midsomer Murders as well (saddo) and then one day I had a really fun extravaganza of Bergerac (awesome!) and then Quincy! Yay! I was happy that day.  ::)

I am guessing you are non WB? How are you getting on with the crutch activity? You'll have super strong arms after this!

Take care

Lottie x

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 03:41:37 AM »
Pat i am pleased that you have had the op now ,cancellation must have been a god send ,you have been waiting so long
gkad to see that you are getting on ok as everyone has said the worse is over ,onwards and upwards
 i see OS on monday for results of arthroscopy, but  know that its grade 4 OA on medial side so looking at another HTO
When you feel up for it Mike yourself and i should meet up to compare scars lol
take care
Alan

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
Hi

Alan, Thanks for all your support, when I am up and about aand a bit more mobile, we will arrange that drink with Mike. Good luck with seeing your results, and hope you don't wait four and a half months like me! I haven't seen my own scar yet, so can't compare it just yet!!

Lottie, I would be in a really bad way if I started to watch Jeremy Kyle. I find it so depressing, I need uplifting and positive programmes, to keep me going.

Day 9 -12 Sat-Tues

Scar seems to be tightening up, occasionally it feels if someone is sticking needles into one place on the scar under my knee, not even the longer scar running down my leg! Still have the dressing on from the hospital, so hoping when I see the consultant next Monday, he will take it off and the tightness will ease a little. I know that under the dressing there are lots of steri-strips, saw them in the hospital. It is hard non weight bearing on the crutches and sitting all day with my feet up. I have been told that I will be 4 weeks non weight bearing and 2 weeks partial weight bearing, by that time I will have had more long leg x-rays and seen consultant again. Parts of my leg, to the side of my knee are still numb, but if I press harder it tingles. I know this is normal, as I asked the consultant whilst in hospital.

I have kept the cryo cuff as my best friend, and the swelling has now started to go down. I have had lots of bruising covering a lot of my leg, the yellow bruising is subsiding, and some of the purple bruising on the back of the leg has gone, according to my family as I can't see this. I do have some bruising come out on my ankle, so socks are now in order to cover it up.

I have tried really hard to do my physio exercises I was given in hospital to do at home, but some I am finding really hard. I can push my leg into the bed no problem, I can flex my foot up and down, but I cannot bend my leg hardly. I have tried to bend it over a towel rolled up, sitting on the edge of the chair and tried to bend slightly, or pull my heel up to my bottom on the bed, I just can't do it. I should be able to do this, just a little bit. Waiting to see physio on Friday. I think some of the problem is the cut/scar under my kneecap as it feels too tight. Probably doesn't help by sitting with my leg up all day!

Still not sleeping through the night, I seem to wake up every couple of hours, due to getting uncomfortable. I leave one lot of pain killers until the moments before I go to bed, but this is not helping. It is not pain that is waking me up, but sleeping on your back is a new experience to me as I love sleeping on my side. Can't wait to be able to move into a more comfortable position. I find my heels are also getting some pressure on them, not pressure sores but now appreiciate the pressure machines I had on my feet whilst in hospital, a small rolled towel helps this but so does putting my foot off the matress. Would love a really good night sleep!!

Still taking 8 Co-Dydramols a day, and have worked on spacing the doses out better, and have the pain under control, can't really feel any, maybe the odd twinge. I will stay on this dose until I have spoken to my consultant.

I have asked my GP for a letter in order to get a wheel chair from the Red Cross on loan, in order to have a change of scene, maybe a walk (not for me) to get some fresh air. I will let you know how I get on. Apparently I can have one for a 3 month period without charge/donation.

Will up date more soon. Thanks for all the KG's on this site, I have made some good Knee friends who understand supportive and are so positive through everything.

WD

Contractorarsenal

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »
Hi Pat,

Hope the physio went well today.

Don't worry too much about how far you can bend your knee. You might still have a bit too much swelling to allow good movement.
Even the slightest improvement is another step in the right direction and when your able to start putting a bit of weight through your leg, you will see and feel an improvement in muscle tone and movement.

Gill and I are thinking of you.
Looking forward to catching up with you and Alan over a beer.

Mike

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
Thanks Mike for your support.

Day 13 - 17 Wed - Sun

Have had some good days, but still worried about bending the knee after the op.

Went to my first physio session at the hospital since my operation, on Friday. A bit nervous because I haven't been able to do all the exercises given to me by the physio's before I left the hospital. However, not to worry, I explained to my new physio what I had and hadn't been able to do, how I had been using the cryo cuff, and about my concerns. We started with lots of questions, then I went through some basic exercises with him. I started with a bend of 30 degrees, after some more knee bends, very gently, and other exercises, by the end of my session I managed to get to 53 degrees, although this started to hurt. I have been given more exercises to stretch out my calf muscles which are quite tight, and some more exercises to bulid up my thigh muscles. I have also told to keep using the cryo cuff day and night.

I have done these exercises for the last two days and have iced my knee each time afterwards, bending my knee still hurts and I feel that I am not bending it as far as I could because I am scared that it will hurt. A lot of the bruising has subsided a fair bit and my leg does not look quite as badly coloured as it did. I am still taking all my pain killers regularly thoughout the day. I still have numbness around the outside of my knee, not on the side I had the op, but it still tingles when pressed.

I am back at the hospital to see the OS tomorrow, hopefully he will take off the dressings and the steri strips so I may be able to bend my leg a little better as I think the dressings are a little tight. This will be the first time I will see the scars, I can feel that some are a little tight when trying to bend my knee.

Still not sleeping too well, although I am getting enough sleep I am waking every couple of hours, due to getting uncomfortable. I long for a good night sleep lying on my side!!!

I now have a letter signed by my GP to get a wheelchair, so that I can get out of the house, but have to get my husband to go and collect one from the Red Cross during the week.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow with my OS.

WD

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »
Hi Pat
glad you are getting on well ,please do not worry about how much you can bend your knee,seeing your posts has
reminded me of the trouble i had bending my knee it worried me that i could not bend as much as the other leg
seems funny now but not at the time,baby steps try no to get disheartened
 i got the results of my arthroscopy today,a week late as they lost the notes,not good ,as were the results
i have grade 4 OA on medial side and wear under the patella as well so its on to the waiting list for me
take care
regards
Alan

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
Alan - Thanks for your support, good luck with the waiting list.

Day 17 Mon

Went to see OS today. Good News.....

I have had all the dressings taken off my wounds, and the steri strips. What a lovely feeling, although not such a lovely sight! Actually it has started healing quite well, quite impressed.

My OS had me standing up, be it on one leg and touching down with the left leg. He said that the alignment looked really good and it was healing well. He also said that I can start to put about 20% on my weight through my leg, whilst hobbling around on the crutches. Apparently this will help me bend my leg a little better.

I feel really positive and am looking forward to doing the things I haven't been able to do for a while. I know this is some way off yet. I will be seeing OS again in January - 6 weeks time.

A visit to the hospital tired me out, slept fairly well, with the usual wakings through the night.

Day 18 Tues

Good day, have done all my physio and used the cryo cuff after each session. Can now see some of the swelling and am getting used to the way my leg looks. I am looking at it with a very positive outlook and think it is the start of my new life!

Keep going with all those wonkey knees.

WD

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Day 19 - Wed

At last I have had a good nights sleep. Felt great, although I woke once to take off cryo cuff, slept through till 8am, when my husband woke me up. My leg felt very stiff but once up on my crutches and moving it started to feel better. Still no pain, although am keeping up with the pain killers as instructed.

Having a very positive day, and have thought of a few questions I need to ask my physio on Friday when I see him. Need to write them down before I forget.

Will update after physio session on Friday.

WD

support