Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question - I am worried  (Read 781 times)

Offline danap

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question - I am worried
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:59:36 AM »
I injured my knee 8 weeks ago. I twisted my left knee outward in a bicycle accident, I was going too quickly through a narrow gate opening. My left knee caught the immovable gate post, twisted my entire left leg out and back. It happened fast but I recall hearing/feeling something rip in the knee/leg  area. I went over the handle bars and gate.

My knee was very swelled and my ankle was stiff and swollen badly. The knee felt very unstable at first, seemed like it could move in any direction but feels more stable now.

I am not in much pain unless I crouch down such that the calf of my leg almost touches the back of my upper left leg (brutal pain then). I accidently did that on the weekend and it really hurt and inflammed the knee again. It feels like I cannot completely straighten my left leg, I also get severe pain when I turn too quickly but that seems to be gettiing better.

I walk with a cane as pushing off of my left leg is unstable/weak/hurts like hell

I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on December 5th.  Until then I don't know what to do to help my recovery. All my pain is on the back/inside of the knee joint.

I am visually impaired so walking and my bike are my only means of transport. What have I done? Will I ever heal? I am worried

Scared Dana

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Question - I am worried
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
You need to wait for the surgeon appointment - have you seen a doctor at all, had an x-ray? - this should be the first step, see the GP?  

The swelling, pain, buckling and locking is quite typical of a meniscus tear, which often happens with a twisting injury.  Depending on the location and severity of the tear (if it is a tear or indeed the meniscus at all), it may heal but it may also need surgery (the blood supply and thus healing potential of the meniscus is poor)

Have a read here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2259

The instability could also indicate a cruciate ligament injury http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2256

The best things to do in the meantime are rest, elevation, ice (don't put the icepack directly against the skin, or keep it on for more than around 15 minutes) and painkillers (anti-inflammatories too).  

Avoid crouching or doing anything to irritate the knee
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline danap

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Question - I am worried
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
You need to wait for the surgeon appointment - have you seen a doctor at all, had an x-ray? - this should be the first step, see the GP?  

The swelling, pain, buckling and locking is quite typical of a meniscus tear, which often happens with a twisting injury.  Depending on the location and severity of the tear (if it is a tear or indeed the meniscus at all), it may heal but it may also need surgery (the blood supply and thus healing potential of the meniscus is poor)

Have a read here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2259

The instability could also indicate a cruciate ligament injury http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2256

The best things to do in the meantime are rest, elevation, ice (don't put the icepack directly against the skin, or keep it on for more than around 15 minutes) and painkillers (anti-inflammatories too).  

Avoid crouching or doing anything to irritate the knee

I ended up at the Emergency Dept after the accident, had X-Ray there, nothing broken apparently but can't tell anything else from that apparently.... the possibity of permanent damage freaks me out as I am partially blind and so dependent on walking.....thanks for the feedback