Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: APOS SHOES  (Read 11457 times)

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
APOS SHOES
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
My knees are now two months on from starting on Apos shoes and I can safely say they have made them so much better.  I wont say cure who knows what might happen but I do not have any night pain I can walk up and down stairs with no pain.  Last week I ran up two lots of stairs at the railway station.  I can use a static bike, treadmill and cross trainer with no or little symptoms despite a medial meniscal tear in one knee and osteoarthritis in the other for which the only prospect was a total knee replcement when the pain got too bad.  The shoes can also help hips ankles and bad backs.   I wear them around the house for two hours a day.  I could also wear them outside for walking but my normal dog walk is quite an uneven and hilly walk so I prefer to keep them clean for indoor use.  I find it astonishing that something so simple could help so much without surgery or drugs.
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: APOS SHOES
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
where did you get them?

Offline sleepylawyer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
Hi  I am so much better I dont come on here very often!  I got them from APOS themselves.  they are only distributed by APOS   They only use trained physios who have further trained to prescribe the shoes  just google APOS and you will find their website.  if you are a BUPA member they will pay for them  usually depending on your cover.  APOS have two centres a t the moment central London and Reading  but they are opening new centres in the north soon.  hope this helps :)
07/09 diagnosed with lateral discoid meniscus with large tear RK menisectomy
03/10 diagnosed with new meniscus tear RK.
05/10 partial menisectomy, lavage and debridement 2x2 cm square Grade 4 hole in medial femoral condyle articular cartilage RK
07/11 LK medial meniscal tear
08/11 APOS shoes fitted

Offline millen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
That's interesting.  I went for a free APOS consultation in January.  Quite thorough assessment, but 2,000 is an awful lot to spend on a pair of shoes with mini-wobble boards underneath (plus around 4 follow-up visits).   They weren't interested in the MRIs I'd brought along.  When pressed, the physio 'thought' I'd get 'some improvement' but maybe not s much as other people.  I have grade 4 knee medial OA and am seeking to postone a TKR for a few years.

I spoke to 3 other patients in the waiting areas, on their repeat visits.  One was very happy, one had no material benefit after 3 consultations, one had some improvement.

APOS never followed up on my request for references.  They do have a couple of medical trials linked from their site.

They advertise heavily in some UK newspapers - much of the cost of the shoes must surely go on marketing!

So, I've not taken the plunge yet.  If there were a partial refund if no improvement then I'd be interested.

Currently I'm looking at the Eurotherapy Biocomfort cyclonic massage device, following a demonstration at an exhibition.  Again, 1,000 list price is way over the top for what it is.  The going rate on eBay for low-use devices is around 250.

support