Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: feels like a large band around upper knee  (Read 4951 times)

Offline freeasabird

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
feels like a large band around upper knee
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:01:38 AM »
I am 6 weeks post from a revision done on my left knee about the 2nd week I started feeling like someone has put a large rubber band around my upper knee and leg feels tight and heavy I wouldnt say its a painful feeling but the sensation is driving me crazy and i am having panic attacks from fearing it wont go away!I also am having just a general aching in lower leg I feel like screaming and crying all the time I fear another failed replacement! but yet I have good ROM  Has anyone ever heard of this type of tightness ?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: feels like a large band around upper knee
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
Can't comment on it specifically but I wonder if its a reaction to the tourniquet during surgery? Could be that some nerves have been bruised and thats making the leg feel a bit weird. Have you had a follow up yet with the surgeon? How much swelling do you have? That can make things feel very tight and heavy too. I know my foot after surgery had some really weird buzzing, dead, vibrating full sensations after surgery - only some 8 months on is my swelling actually pretty invisible!

Good luck,

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: feels like a large band around upper knee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
I didn't have surgery. Had an impact fracture, dislocation (which relocated by itself) and torn medial patellar retic. (the ligament which holds the kneecap in place) Today is my 11 week anniversary. I know the feeling you describe. I had it strongly when my knee was stiff and I still get it though it loosens up during PT and when I exercise my leg. It is not as bad as before. My idiotic OS said he didn't know what it was. I think it's muscle spasm/weakness first from pain and later to protect you from falling. My PT explained that when the leg is weak the muscles tighten in response to stiffen the leg because you think you're going to fall. So I know what you mean and I believe it's muscle. My recovery is very slow and painful and I've lost a lot of strength but I see a tiny bit of progress so don't worry about the sensation. It's uncomfortable but nothing to be afraid of.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

support