Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My story of my Osteochondral Autograft procedure  (Read 6568 times)

Offline DerbyGirl138

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My story of my Osteochondral Autograft procedure
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Anna, 27 years old and I play Roller Derby. 3 weeks ago I've became injured and discovered I have a osteochondral defect. It's 1.4 cm by 1.4 cm in my left knee. I'm getting the OATS procedure and would like to document my story to help others. My surgery is in 2 days and I've never been so nervous in my life!!

BTW, this board is great!!

Offline Kirsner72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: My story of my Osteochondral Autograft procedure
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:52:02 AM »
Why did you choose OATS?

Offline DerbyGirl138

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »
Well two doctors told me its either oats or have a transplant. I skate on quads and I stopped skating due to pain. It seemed like the correct procedure for my problem.

Offline DerbyGirl138

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
Day 1- Recovery was tough! When I woke up I was shaking violently due to the amount of pain and the anesthesia. They had a DR give me an injection in my left leg to numb my entire left leg and a pain killer. I was fine after that. They put a soft cast on my leg from above my knee to my ankle.

I live in a duplex so it was hard getting into my bedroom upstairs. I crutched it up stairs:
http://youtu.be/2sf6jaBAEDM

Getting to the bathroom was difficult but my boyfriend bought me a 4" bathroom seat (How Romantic Right??)  :P

I used the CPM machine tonight for 2 hours at 40 degrees. That was a little painful putting my leg in the machine.

My leg is numb, but tomorrow I know it's going to hurt!!

Offline DerbyGirl138

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:12:10 AM »
Day 6-
Sorry I've been M.I.A! Yesterday I decided to venture out of my house and went to my Roller Derby Leagues final game of the season! Well I was in a wheelchair and a friend pushed me around. LOTS OF PAIN TODAY!

I've been using  the CPM machine for 2 hours in the morning and night. Also, I'm up to 90 degrees! Not bad right?

Today I stepped on my leg on the way up the stairs  :-[ Ouch!

Today was a very painful day. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel different.

Oh...and I can SHOWER again!...with use of a shower chair and leg cover.

Offline olivebruises

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
I'm not sure if you'll receive notification from my reply - but hopefully you will!  I played roller derby for 4 years and retired at the end of last season.  My retirement was more to just take some time off, with intentions of coming back one day.  Well since then, I have found out that I have the same issue as you do and I need to have mosaicplasty/OATS surgery as well.  I'm wondering if you were ever able to return to roller derby after your surgery/healing.  Thanks!

support