Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How soon can someone drive after ACL Reconstruction  (Read 11798 times)

Offline Runner29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How soon can someone drive after ACL Reconstruction
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:04 AM »
Hiya I basically would just like some advice, I had ACL Reconstruction on my right knee on Oct 12th, so just over 3 weeks ago and  I just would like to ask anyone who has had the same procedure, how long did they wait until they got back behind the wheel?
Its just I live on the outside of town and there's no way I am able to walk to the supermarket or physio appointment or visit family and have hardly left the house since my operation, except for a very expensive taxi back to hospital for a follow up appointment and for physio.
Of course I don't want to rush back to driving, but taxi's are so expensive:(

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: How soon can someone drive after ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:38:28 AM »
As it is your right leg, i.e. brake and accelerator pedal operation, you need to get your surgeon's OK on this. It is not your driving you have to worry about, it is all the other road users who will cause you problems and require you to be moving from one pedal to the other instinctively without any hesitation.

As a rule of thumb, you need a minimum of a 90° bend in order to sit in the car and operate the pedals, but you also need to have the strength and be largely pain-free.

If you do not have the OK from your surgeon, GP or physio, you will find that in the event of an accident, you do not have any insurance. Not only will you be left sitting on your own costs, you may have the costs of the other driver(s) to pay as well as a fine and points for driving with without insurance.

I understand your predicament, I live in a tiny village 15kms outside of my nearest town. I had to pay for a taxi down and taxi back as I live on my own and have no family here. That was prohibitively expensive even though I knew I would get all the money back in the end (mine was an industrial injury so all my costs were paid). What I did was give my car to a friend to use on the condition she ferried me around. It is easier to do that here in Germany as it is the car that is insured not the driver. I used a mixture of taxis, lifts from friends and my personal driver to overcome the mounting costs of taxis until I was cleared to drive at about 8 weeks. when they did the revision of my ACL, I got my sister to come over from the UK for an extended holiday. She stayed about 6 weeks by which time I was OK to drive again. But that was my left knee. I know damned well that I would not have been able to step on the brake for an emergency stop had it been my right knee.

Each of us is different in terms of what we had done and how we respond to treatment. The time frame as such is therefore not a set period of weeks, it varies from person to person. But all of us need the all clear from the medicos before we try, just in case some idiot decides to drive into your boot and you end up having to pay for his damage!

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline gedo70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »
Hi,

I had a full Hamstring Graft ruptured ACL, on my right knee February this year. I was driving after 3 weeks but took it easy. My car is a automatic although to be honest that didn't make much difference as it was my right knee.

When I was getting in and out of my car I just took my time ie: Slid myself in and out Lol. God knows what a police officer would of thought ha ha.

Golden rule just take your time when braking etc and getting out of your car.

Regards
Mike

Offline Runner29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
Thanks for your repliles, I will check on Monday, will be 4 weeks post op on Wednesday:D

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
Surgeons and insurance companies will state that you have to be able to perform an emergency stop safely and properly

"Taking your time braking" as above isn't really going to cut it in such unforeseen situations  :-\ 

Kaputt_Knee's points are very well made

Can't you sort out online shopping and ask others to help you out or visit you

Hope you feel better but for your sake and that of other road users at this pretty hairy time of year on the roads, don't try to drive before you feel physically able as hard and frustrating as it may be  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone