Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help explain MRI findings  (Read 1186 times)

Offline abyss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help explain MRI findings
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
Hi,

Could anyone please shed some light on these MRI findings for my left knee:

A small effusion is seen with suprapatellar plica.

Prominent osteoarthritic change is seen in the patellofemoral articulation with high grade chondromalacia of the lateral aspect of trochlear groove with underlying bone marrow oedema and geodes and loss of cartilage. There is mild chondromalacia of the central patella with some signal change and minimal surface irregularity. The patellar position is normal.

Cruciate and collateral ligaments look normal. No tendon abnormality seen. No meniscal tear is evident. Hyaline cartilage over the condyles looks normal and the weight bearing surface. No tibiofemoral or osteoarthritic change seen. No loose body apparent.

Impression:
Prominent osteoarthritic change of the patellofemoral articulation with high grade chondromalacia of the lateral aspect of the anterior fermoral groove with minimal chondromalacia of the central patella. Minimal effusion.

Offline tobypaw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Please help explain MRI findings
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
Hopefully you have a follow up with your doctor to go over the results. The MRI is a very useful tool but must be used along with a thorough understanding of your symptoms and injury.
Why were you referred for the MRI? Where is your pain? How did the injury occur?

The 2 things that stand out on the MRI are the Plica and Chondromalacia. You can google those or search this forum for good info on those 2 things.

I have a Plica in my left knee. It is not symptomatic and is managed by icing my knee if it gets irritated. Some Plica are symptomatic and can be removed.
Chondromalacia is usually graded 1-4 here in the USA, your MRI uses the terms "high grade" and "mild". Again, go over these results with your doctor and find out how it matches to the symptoms/pain you are experiencing.
Good luck!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Please help explain MRI findings
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
There's some information here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/737
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2263
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/841

The patella is the kneecap and the trochlea is the groove it sits in (part of the femur/thigh bone I think - hence patello-femoral).  

It sounds like the kneecap is not moving smoothly in the groove and hence the damage to the articular cartilage(the smooth shiny stuff on the bones which normally aids them to move smoothly) - this is one of the elements of arthritis (could be due to your anatomy or an injury)

There is a patello-femoral section on here which may be worth a look

Good luck for mwhen you discuss with your doctor
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support