Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction failures? Redos? Depressed, confused.  (Read 936 times)

Offline ihatespiders

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction failures? Redos? Depressed, confused.
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
Mine got infected and they had to take everything out.  Anyone else have to have their reconstruction redone or revised in some way?  Wondering what I'm in for.  Very depressed and confused.
Complete ACL tears in both knees May 2011, plus meniscus tear in left
ACL allograft plus meniscus repair Sept. 14, 2011

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: ACL reconstruction failures? Redos? Depressed, confused.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Sorry to see you in this position, there are many of us who have undergone revisions for a variety of reasons.

Start by looking at and reading in the Information Hub:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/155  This is an excellent overview of the reasons for failure and what comes next.

The most important thing for you to do is not to dwell on what has happened and what could have been. Work on making sure you have as much knowledge as possible about your options and work forward and look forward. The past is gone, over finished. There is nothing you can do to change it, BUT you can insure through good preparation that it will not repeat itself.

Revisions require you to go a wee bit more slowly to develop infinite patience and to be ecstatic about every tiny piece of progress. Set yourself simple achievable milestones in your preparation and rehab. Do not focus on the long term, other than having something you ultimately want to achieve.

Revisions are as much a mental game as they are a physical one. Believe me, I've been through them too many times not to know how to approach them now. My last revision had me back on my skis way sooner than I had anticipated. It just sort of crept up on me because I was busy concentrating on the little picture of daily/weekly improvements. I was back on my skis 5.5 months after my last revision. This was despite my previous surgeon telling me that I would never have full functionality again because I was too old. He told me to suck it up and wait for my total knee replacement.

Be positive good things can happen as well you know  ;)

Sue  ;D
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline ihatespiders

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL reconstruction failures? Redos? Depressed, confused.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:44:50 AM »
Thanks so much kaputt - Just the kind of encouragement I need; especially since I fear I'm getting a bit old for this stuff!  Glad to hear your back on the skis.  Amy
Complete ACL tears in both knees May 2011, plus meniscus tear in left
ACL allograft plus meniscus repair Sept. 14, 2011