Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Reconstruction  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Runner29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Reconstruction
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
Hiya I'm new on this forum and I'm basically just looking for some advice from anyone who has gone through this.
I had ACL Reconstruction on my right knee with a hamstring graft on Oct 12th, so I'm nearly 3 weeks post op. I originally partially tore my ACL last Nov and since then I managed to work on my quads/ hamstrings and calf strenght and to get full range of movement and had a sports knee brace to help with instability.
My worry is now I'm still on crutches and have not had a single Physio appointment and no post op exercise programme. I have been doing some quad squeezes at home and bending my knee to 90 degrees, but am struggling with heel slides and haven't even attempted single leg raises incase its too much! I'm really worried that my graft will fail and really angry with the nhs physiotherapy!!
I'm a qualified fitness instructor and I am aware of a few exercises that I can do, but I need help

Offline PiotrS

• Regular Poster
Re: ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Hi Runner,

That does not sound like a good situation - I am surprised you have been given no physio or any direction on exercising and rehabilitation.

To put you a little bit at ease, the graft is pretty strong after the operation, and you would really need quite a bit of force to damage it. I had a few scares in the first few weeks post-op (I am now nearly six weeks post-op), and one major scare where I stood really hard on my operated leg and my muscles basically gave way underneath me (forgot to put the crutches down when making a step). Today my OS confimed that the graft is doing very well and there are no problems.

That said, of course you should do all you can to protect the graft and not do exercises that may compromise it. Ideally you should have guidance on what exercises you should be doing from your OS, as the type of rehab is dependent on the type of operation you had and exactly what and how it was done. This site is pretty good in terms of the exercises for early rehabilitation, but of course it's no substitute for guidance from the OS.

I also had a hamstring graft, and my early exercises (first two weeks) were quad tightening, straight leg raises, and heel slides on a rehab ball (found it much easier that doing them on a level surface). I think the common theme (according to my physio and to many other people on this board) for the first few weeks post op is to work primarily on the extension - since that is important for restoring proper walking gait. It's good to have some kind of an incline on which to put your leg on so that it can be straight and elevated, although it shouldn't be supported directly under the knee. Lots of ice also helps.

I hope that will help just a little bit, but it would definitely be good to get a physio as soon as you can. Is the private option out of the question, even if it just for a few initial weeks?

Offline Runner29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »
Hiya PiotrS,
Thank you for your advice, I was thinking I may have to go down the private route, but then a nurse got in touch with me after I left an answerphone message and sorted a Physio appt out for tomorrow morning, finally I can get some help.

I had a similar scare but in the shower after 1 week where my foot slipped forward a very tiny bit and I quickly tried to stop and put weight on it and my knee bent a little and felt strange, I had shower sandles on and don't wear them in the shower now.....too dangerous....I guess little things that happen are making me paranoid that I've pulled the new Acl.

I just can't wait until tomorrow and see what the Physio says :D

Offline gedo70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
Hi Mate,

Just to reassure you I had a full Hamstring graft Feb of this year after rupturing my ACL playing football. Anyway 9 months on and I still have good and bad days. I had a moment few weeks ago, saw my surgeon who said Graft still solid but my knee is weak so it will take time to fully recover.

The sooner you start physio the better, I personally do a lot of swimming as very low weight bearing on your knee. The problem whilst recovering from this type of injury, is all in the head. Confidence plays a massive part of rehab, but remember your knee supports a lot of actions within the  body so it will take time and it can be v frustrating but the road will be long and slow but you will get there.

Mike

Offline Runner29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply, I guess its still early days for me and its just so hard cos i'm normally so active lol.
I'm managing on one crutch now round the house after seeing a physio last tues, but still 2 crutches outside, guess its a confidence thing!
More physio next monday so hopefully some more improvement :D